Section: Uncategorized

Leggy rocks the Horn with a fusion of punk and dream pop

Aptly described by lead singer Veronique Allaer as “pop sincerity employing fun lyrics with punk energy,” Cincinnati-based indie band Leggy performed last Friday at the Horn Gallery. Although Leggy’s high-energy style is no stranger to the Horn, the band’s mix of punk and dream pop added a unique sound to the Horn’s recent lineup of bands.

Fresh off a UK tour, Leggy returned to their roots to play at a wide range of venues across Ohio. It is these same venues that have fostered Ohio’s vibrant music scene and produced a wide range of well-known artists from the likes of Kid Cudi to The National. “Ohio is always cranking out really good stuff,” drummer Chris Cambell remarked. “And there’s a really strong sense of community here. We’ve met a lot of our friends and fans just from going to Ohio shows for the last five to 10 years.”

Opening for Leggy, Kenyon’s own Day Moon set a tone seemingly different from the act that would follow. Although Day Moon’s Jeff Buckley-esque songs of yearning did not feature Leggy’s “lush punk” style of power anthems, the similarities in the song structures and lyrical focus of the two bands were apparent. Never ones for artifice, both Leggy and Day Moon accentuated their honest song structures with highly personal lyricism.

Although their tempo and overall sound design were distinctly different from the band to follow, the midwestern simplicity of Day Moon succeeded in preparing an eager audience for Leggy’s electric performance.

A relatively small audience at Friday’s show facilitated, arguably, the ideal environment to listen to Leggy: open spaces to jam once Cambell’s electrifying drums hit their strides and the ability to listen at your own pace, taking in Allaer’s empowering lyricism as well as her cuttingly harmonic voice. Combining humble chord progressions with heavily distorted guitar riffs, the thread that connects Leggy with other native Ohio acts like Heart Attack Man and the Black Keys soon became clear: lo-fi potency propelled through heavy-hitting and often upbeat percussion.

The Horn follows Leggy’s performance with Rob Stokes and Sir E.U’s jazz and acoustic futurism on Saturday, Oct. 5 at 9:30 p.m.