Section: Uncategorized

Lacrosse teams dominate in their first games

Nick Vitale ’19 carries the ball forward for the Lords. Vitale led the Lords in scoring with five goals, while also registering two assists. | SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA

Women’s

On the road at Heidelberg University, the Ladies lacrosse team opened their season with a dominant 20-1 victory over the Student Princes. 

In an emphatic show of their offensive capabilities, seven different Ladies each scored more than one goal. They proved that they were defensively solid as well, limiting Heidelberg to just six shots, while Kenyon totaled 50. Julia Mahoney ’21 and Lucy Somers ’19 led the way offensively with four goals apiece; for Mahoney, the game represented a career high in her single-game scoring.

With 3:49 to go in the first half, the score of the game was already a decisive 13-0 in Kenyon’s favor. The Student Princes finally managed a goal with a minute-and-a-half remaining in the first half. It was their only offensive production of the game, netted by Angela Lulejian. Goaltender Carina Barnes ’19 had a solid performance for the Ladies, allowing just that one goal and recording two saves on the day. The second half of the game saw several more goals for the Ladies, while the Student Princes attempted only three shots, none of which found the net. 

Next up for the Ladies is a home match against John Carroll University on Saturday at 1p.m.

Men’s

The Kenyon Lords lacrosse team opened their season with a commanding 21-5 victory over the Presidents of Washington & Jefferson College this past weekend at McBride Field.

The offense put on a show against the Presidents’ defense; 10 of Kenyon’s goals were assisted. The Lords also registered 18 goals on 64 shots , with 10 different players finding the back of the net in the contest.

Captain Nick Vitale ’19 led the Lords in scoring with five goals and two assists. Midfielders Sam Humphrey ’20 and Will Harrigan ’21 both showed their offensive prowess as Humphrey produced two goals and two assists while Harrigan netted a hat trick.

The face-off specialists for the Lords got the best of their opponents, winning 82.1 percent of the face-offs. Ian Gobron ’21 won 12 of his 14 face-offs, while Reed Russell ’21 went seven for nine at the X. Russell showed that he could not only win important face-off battles, but also translate his wins into immediate offensive production when he scored one goal and then assisted on another.

“It was a great first showing from the team top to bottom,” Vitale said. “Despite the score, there are still things we need to fix as we move deeper into the season.”

Their next matchup is against Capital University on Saturday at 12 p.m. in Columbus, Ohio.