Golf starts off hot in first tournament

The Kenyon Lords golf team started the 2018 season with a dominant showing. This past weekend, Kenyon traveled to Sandusky, Ohio for the Battle of the Brook tournament.

Robert Williams ’19 started off the tournament by shooting two under par, which put him at the top of the leaderboard on day one. The tournament was shortened from 36 holes to 27 holes due to inclement weather, so Williams ended up shooting an even round of 36 through nine holes. It was an impressive feat given the horrible conditions, but Williams persevered through the weather for the chance to win a one-hole playoff.

Luke Boerner of Ohio Wesleyan University also finished even after 36 holes, so Williams and Boerner went to a one-hole playoff to determine the champion. Williams stayed level at par on the playoff hole while his opponent finished with a bogey. This secured Williams’ first individual tournament win for the Lords. His performance on the course led him to earn the title of North Coast Athetic Conference Player of the Week.

Lawrence Courtney ’21 also contributed to the Lords’ top finish by shooting three over par for the second consecutive tournament placing him tied for fifth overall.

“After not having our best stuff in the first tournament, we went into this tournament with the goal of being more committed to every shot we hit,” Williams said after this weekend’s win. “We did just that and all played the shots we knew we could hit, and in the end it paid off in a great win for our team.”

The Lords are looking to continue their strong play at the National Collegiate Athletic Association Preview tournament in Nicholasville, Ky. on Sept. 17 and 18.