Section: Uncategorized

Contacts needed to register

Starting this semester, the Office of the Registrar added an additional requirement to course registration: Students must update their emergency contact information.

The Dean of Students and the Office of Student Affairs said this change was necessary in order to increase student safety on campus. The changes to course registration are to ensure that Campus Safety isn’t forced to rely on outdated student information.

Vice President for Student Affairs Meredith Bonham ’92 said updating contact information is common practice at other institutions. The issue is that, for whatever reason, it wasn’t a policy Kenyon had adopted. Although the Office of Student Affairs wasn’t permitted to release more details without violating student policy, Bonham confirmed that several incidents have happened over the past few years where a lack of updated contact information was an issue. “We currently don’t have a good mechanism for gathering the emergency contact information,” Bonham said.“If we’re trying to get ahold of someone, say, in the middle of the night, and the only phone numbers we have may have come off a student’s application to Kenyon, they haven’t been updated and are no longer useful anymore.”

Most students who expressed an interest described it as a positive shift in policy.

“I don’t mind it. I think it’s a good way to get people to put down their contact information,” Christian Chancey ’18 said.

Students who took issue with the changes cited difficulties in not receiving the information early enough. John Wilhelm ’18 missed the initial email and almost didn’t send in his information on time. Though he registered for classes successfully, he expressed sympathy for any students who might have missed the changes and found themselves locked out of the system.