Section: Uncategorized

Softball sweeps Hiram in doubleheader

The Ladies rode a scoring outburst to a doubleheader sweep of the Hiram College Terriers on Wednesday afternoon. After two consecutive 8-0 losses to Wittenberg University last week, the Ladies bounced back with the two wins over Hiram to improve their season record to 13-24. While that overall record is not terribly inspiring, the Ladies have won more games with higher stakes, as their 5-5 North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) record is at an even 5-5.

The Ladies were propelled by 14 hits in their 7-2 victory in the first game of the doubleheader Wednesday afternoon. Hiram was the first to get on the scoreboard in the opener, scoring a single run in the top of the third inning after two scoreless frames. The Ladies were quick to respond, putting up a crooked number with four runs of their own. The very next inning, the Ladies scored three more runs to extend their lead to six. Hiram was able to push their second run across the plate in the sixth inning, but the Ladies held them there to lock up a 7-2 win. The top three hitters were key for the team in the victory as the trio of third baseman Madi Maldonado ’18, second baseman Amanda Ogata ’19, and right fielder Britny Patterson ’19 combined for eight hits, four runs batted in and four runs scored.

The Ladies huddle up before taking their positions.

The offense did not get off to as strong of a start in game two. The Ladies were held to just one run through the first three innings by Hiram starting pitcher Brittany Zajac, but they were finally able to break through against Zajac in the fourth inning. The Ladies would score three runs in that pivotal frame, highlighted by a two-run double by center fielder Allison Stratman ’20 that was hammered down the left field line. The Ladies would go on to score four more runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to put the game away at 8-1.

While the offense was on clear display in the doubleheader sweep, the Ladies also pitched two great games. Left hander Austen Whibley ’19 started both games on the pitching mound and threw 5.1 innings of two run ball in the first game, striking out six Terriers. After pitching the first inning in game two, fellow pitcher Keely Sweet ’20 took over and threw the final six innings without allowing a run to pick up the win.

With the two wins, the Ladies stayed in position to make the NCAC postseason tournament. The two losses were fatal for the Terriers, who were eliminated from postseason consideration by dropping to 2-8 in NCAC play. The Ladies will next play on Saturday afternoon, when they will travel to Delaware, Ohio to play another doubleheader against Ohio Wesleyan University.