What to watch

While the Gund Gallery, Kenyon dramatic productions and students themselves make this campus an oasis for art consumption, there are still some pastimes that justify descending from the Hill. Here are a few of the movies coming out this semester that may just be worth the shuttle ride to Mount Vernon and the $8 ticket:

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

“Did you know John Green went to Kenyon?!?” may be a question of the past after the Sept. 30 release of the film adaptation of the young adult novel by the same name, written by Ransom Riggs ’01. While this movie could run the risk of falling down the ever-growing rabbit hole of movie versions of young adult books, Tim Burton’s direction may just give Miss Peregrine and Riggs the boost they need to become household names.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Even though the admissions staff loves to say that Kenyon is basically Hogwarts, it’s time for our inner witches and wizards to return to the book universe of Harry Potter. Those disappointed by The Cursed Child will get one last chance to relive the glory days in this prequel/history lesson on the Harry Potter world. For those planning an eight-movie Harry Potter marathon, do so before Nov. 18.

Manchester by the Sea

Those looking for a more “artsy” film should head out on Nov. 18 to see Manchester By The Sea. After receiving positive reviews at the Sundance Film Festival, the film was purchased by Amazon Studios and is now going into wide release. In Manchester By The Sea Casey Affleck stars as a Boston resident who, after the death of his brother, is forced to take care of his teenage nephew and grapple with life in the small town of Manchester-By-The-Sea.

The Magnificent Seven

This remake of the 1960 flick aims to revive the golden age of the western with a star-studded cast and a whole lot of cool action sequences. Moviegoers can expect to see Chris Pratt being a charming outlaw and Denzel Washington being a kick-butt action hero when these two hit the big screen in this western tale of revenge and heroism on Sept. 23.