Section: Uncategorized

Waite Recital captivates with instrumental pieces

By Erica Rabito

On Saturday, audience members filled nearly every seat of  Brandi Recital Hall . The audience members eagerly awaited the performances of some of the best musicians Kenyon has to offer as part of the prestigious Angela P. Waite Recital.

Each semester, students who perform best in their juries are chosen to take part in the recital. As part of a gift from Charles P. Waite to his wife, Angela P. Waite, to commemorate their wedding anniversary in 2000, the Angela P. Waite Student Recital Series has taken place every year since. This year’s honorees and participants performed their winning pieces on Saturday, and all clearly demonstrated why they were chosen to be part of this prestigious group.

Clara Yetter ’18 has been playing the flute for a decade, and though apprehensive beforehand, considers being chosen to take part in this year’s recital a great honor. 

“This is my first time, so it should be interesting,” Yetter said. “It’s supposed to be a really big honor. Then we get our names on the wall in the downstairs lounge [of Storer]. They make a plaque every year, which is nice.” Yetter’s unaccompanied solo piece for the flute truly displayed her mastery of the instrument, and allowed it to be the sole focus of the audience’s attention.

Guitarist Evan Rasch ’17 described participating in the recital as stressful. “It’s definitely nerve-wracking to play guitar like that, just to have everyone watching you,” he said. “It’s the kind of thing where every time I do it it’s a terrifying experience, but I think that’s kind of what makes it worth it. I like challenging myself and putting myself in an uncomfortable position like that because it’s really rewarding once you finish — you feel very much accomplished.”

Despite his nerves, Rasch demonstrated his talent with the guitar in a technically difficult piece that wowed the audience.

Even for those not included in the recital, the prestige and excitement surrounding the event provides additional incentive to improve for those in beginner-level lessons, and to continue to hone their craft.

“The thought of participating in a jury is really stressful to me, but after seeing that recital it gave me more of a motive to do the jury than just moving up to the next level,” pianist Emily Davis ’19 said. “The honor of participating in the recital definitely inspires me to keep working hard.”

Other participants in the recital included violinist Percy Gates ’16, vocalist Allison James ’16, drummer Thomas Cox ’17, vocalist Henry Quillian ’17, guitarist Zoey Tatarsky ’17, violinist Alayne Wegner ’17, and pianists Joseph Schutz ’18 and Jeremy Moore ’19.