Man tased outside Market Sunday, charged with assault

A man was tased and arrested outside the Village Market yesterday evening by a Knox County Sheriff’s Office (KSCO) deputy after students reported he had talked about killing people, according to KCSO.

Paul Joseph Rimelspach, 33, of Galena, Ohio, was charged with assault, resisting arrest, criminal trespass, and disorderly conduct.

Rimelspach told two Campus Safety officers who had stopped him and another man that his name was Pi and that he came from the center of the sun, according to the KCSO’s incident report. When a deputy arrived at 8:40 p.m. and asked Rimelspach and his friend what they were doing on campus, the men replied that they were there to buy college books.

The deputy interviewed students who said that earlier Rimelspach had been “making comments about murder and killing” at Gund Commons, the report said. “They advised they thought he was insane and felt scared,” the deputy reported.

Hayley Yussman ’18 was studying with classmates outside of Gund Commons around 6:30 or 7 p.m. on Sunday when she saw a man dropping table tennis paddles by the hedges lining the patio. The man appeared to be hallucinating and told the students he had previously been convicted of murder, according to Yussman, at which point the students got up to leave. “As we were leaving he asked us sort of angrily if any of us had anything to say before he went to go kill,” she said. Yussman and another student went to the Office of Campus Safety to report him.

The deputy told Rimelspach he could either go to jail or go to the hospital, that “based on allegations that he spoke of death and killing, his answers about his identity and where he came from as well as speaking in a metaphor he needed to go to the hospital for mental evaluation,” the report said. When the deputy asked Rimelspach about the students’ allegations, he said he was reciting poetry. The officer noted, “I asked the students if they thought what he was saying was poetry and they advised, ‘No.’”

When Rimelspach refused the officer’s orders, the deputy grabbed his arm and informed him “he was being pink slipped to go the hospital,” the report said. When Rimelspach resisted and his friend got between him and the officer, the officer ordered Rimelspach to the ground. Rimelspach continued to resist being handcuffed by the deputy and Safety officers, and the deputy radioed for an emergency response from other officers. The deputy warned Rimelspach he would tase him if he resisted being handcuffed, and as Rimelspach refused to be handcuffed the officer tased him, according to the report. Rimelspach was then transported to the Knox Community Hospital by the College Township Fire Department and was later taken to the Knox County jail.

This article will be updated as the Collegian receives more information.

[starbox id=”MayaKaufman,HenriGendreau”]