To the Editors:

I was dismayed when I opened the pages of last week’s Collegian and failed to find any mention of Amir Sulaiman’s visit to campus the previous week. Sulaiman is a world-renowned poet and activist. He was recently appointed a fellow at Harvard University to continue his project of giving a poetic voice to Muslim and African-American communities and experiences in a way that beautifully emphasizes both their specificity and their universality. On Wednesday evening, March 18, the Horn Gallery was standing room only as over two-hundred people, both students and faculty, listened with rapt attention as Sulaiman recited his verses and engaged extensively with the audience on everything from the meaning of specific lines to his writing process and the emotions he feels every time he recites his powerful verses. Sulaiman also continued these discussions at a Common Hour presentation the next day. Surely a visitor of such prestige and events of such wide appeal and importance merit coverage in the Collegian. It is the responsibility of the editors to ensure that the Collegian’s contents mirror the diversity of events that occur on campus.

Joy Brennan

Visiting Instructor of Religious Studies