Section: Uncategorized

Gund to stay open 24 hours

Gund to stay open 24 hours

Photo by Stephanie Fongheiser

Starting this semester, Gund Commons will once again be open 24 hours a day. “I feel like it should be open 24 hours,” Alexandra Stois ’17 said. “We have downstairs Peirce on south campus but north campus didn’t have that sort of thing for awhile, and it’s like, you [need to] finish a paper at 2 a.m., and what are you going to do?”

The new hours haven’t been the only change to Gund Commons this year. The computer lab has been moved to the basement to make room for offices in the old lab space. There are new HP computers in the lab, along with new public printers and, most recently, new chairs. The new printers, like the library printers, allow students to use their K-Cards to print documents on the public system. “I like the environmentally friendly aspect,” Stephanie Cordonnier ’15 said. “But they’re a little slower.”

Dean of Students Hank Toutain, Associate Dean of Students Tacci Smith, Vice President of Library and Information Services Ronald Griggs and Director of User Services Paul Mollard made the decision to adjust Gund Commons’ hours. According to Mollard, the decision was motivated partially by concern over safety once the lab was moved. “There had been a few cases of vandalism in the lounge,” Mollard said. “We also had some concerns about the location and being, you know, downstairs away from the windows.”

It remained open 24 hours during exam week at the end of fall semester, and there were no incidents of vandalism. “The fact that the students seemed to respect the space and the equipment during that time gave us the confidence that … we could keep the lab open 24 hours,” Mollard said.