Section: Uncategorized

Know Your Kenyon Resources

Know Your Kenyon Resources

by Emily Sakamoto and Eileen Cartter

Career Development Office (CDO)

Chances are, more than one relative or family friend has asked you at some gathering this summer what you’re going to do with your Kenyon degree. Not only will you come to resent that question more and more as the years go on, it will undoubtedly worm its way into your brain.

Avoid this existential crisis and visit the CDO. It’s best if you have a direction in mind — an interest, a part of the country you want to work with, relevant alumni they can connect you to — but you can also go if you just need some help compiling a resume. Believe in your liberal arts pedigree. Remember to breathe.

Good Samaritan Policy 

Kenyon’s drinking culture can provide a good time, but when things get out of hand Campus Safety is always there. The Good Samaritan policy dictates that when a student is approaching unsafe levels of alcohol or drug consumption another student can call Safety and neither student is subject to punishment. “It’s a College policy, not a state law,” Director of Campus Safety Robert Hooper said. “We’re here to help [the students].” The policy has been set forth to protect Kenyon’s students, not to further harm them with the judicial system.

In a situation that merits usage of this policy, call (740) 427-5555.

Health and Counseling Center 

Many students do not realize that access to counseling services are included in the comprehensive health benefits package, which is part of tuition and fees. The transition to college can be a daunting experience and the Counseling Center is one of the best places on campus for those feeling overwhelmed by the transition to College, or for those dealing with pre-existing conditions. Students looking for routine visits can sign up for weekly appointments or opt for sporadic meetings. Pairs of students and counselors are matched according to the needs of the student. Group counseling is also available as well as group sessions run by  the Peer Counselors, a student subsection of the Counseling Center.

Director of the Counseling Center Patrick Gilligan clarified exactly how popular the service is. “We saw over 40 percent of our student body last year,” Gilligan said. “We’re even more accessible now that we’re in the middle of the campus. There is no issue too large or too small. We just want to help.”

Library and Information Services (LBIS)

The library is a great place to sit and focus, but since nowadays we do the bulk of our work on laptops and tablets, the actual library books can seem more like endearing memorabilia that happen to give off a studious vibe. Instead of using a critical source from the first page of JSTOR results like everyone else in your class, take advantage of our bibliophilic resources and check out a real-life book or two.

Say you need to write a 15-page research paper on the media coverage of the crack cocaine epidemic in the 1980s. Not sure where to start? Make an appointment to meet with a reference librarian. Check out Summon, which searches across the whole Kenyon LBIS database, and, if you’re thinking ahead, CONSORT, which allows you to rent books from other Ohio universities (which can take a few days). Visit the seriously underrated microfilm archives over by the printers and scan through old issues of Newsweek and Time, which is also surprisingly fun. You’ll have gotten so much more out of your paper-writing experience, you’ll feel better about what you’re handing in, and no doubt get a better grade.

Sexual Misconduct Advisors (SMAs)

Partially in collaboration with the Counseling Center, SMAs run a 24-hour confidential hotline available for any person ­— whether it be a student or staff member — to contact in the case of sexual assault. “Very few schools have student mediators between the adminstration and the student body,” said Charlie Collison ’15, an SMA. “[Our organization] is a big opportunity to ameliorate unfortunate events on campus.”

SMAs offer caring, confidential support for students or staff who are dealing with trauma. You can reach them at any time at (740) 358-1544. The Collegian’s blog arm, The Thrill, profiles a different SMA each week.