Ladies remain focused after recent rough patch

The Kenyon volleyball team faced off against two difficult out-of-conference teams in Heidelberg University and Otterbein University. The Ladies lost both games by scores of 3-1 and 3-0, respectively.

The first game was last Tuesday against the Heidelberg Student Princes. The Ladies lost by a score of 3-1 sets. After falling in the first set 25-20, Heidelberg came back to win 25-19, and then 25-22 in both the third and the fourth set. Delaney Swanson ’19 kept the team going strong and led the team with 25 kills, which is tied for the sixth-most kills in a single game in Kenyon volleyball history. She also provided 11 digs.

The Ladies played Otterbein on Sept. 27  but were shut out with a final match score of 3-0. The Cardinals were strong throughout the entire series, but not strong enough to prevent Swanson from gaining team-high 13 kills while also contributing eight digs. Furthermore, Meghan Cason ’21 added 31 assists while Katie Howard ’22 paced the Ladies’ defense with 15 digs.

“We are still 11-5 even after having two tough matches last week,” Alexi Donnelly ’19 said. “The Ladies are enjoying a great season so far, meshing with one another on and off the court, and we will enter Friday’s game well-rested, confident and ready for some wins.”

Kenyon will look to shake their two-game losing streak this Friday, Oct. 5, against Oberlin College.