Volleyball hits the road before NCAC play starts

On Sept. 14, the Kenyon Ladies volleyball team traveled to Hiram, Ohio to participate in the Hiram Tournament. The weekend began with the Ladies emerging victorious over Frostburg State University in three sets, with scores of 27-25, 25-19 and 25-14. Outside hitter Delaney Swanson ’19 led the Ladies to  victory with 14 kills. The win moved the team to an impressive 8-1 record for the season.

In a thrilling match on Saturday morning, the Ladies came back resilient after losing the first two sets to the surprisingly vicious Kalamazoo College Hornets, whose record going into the match was 1-8.

The Hornets won the first two sets, but Kenyon responded immediately, building a 7-2 lead early in the third set. Haley Witschey ’20 and Swanson sparked the charge that led to Kenyon’s first win of the match. After falling behind 15-14 in the fourth set, the Ladies put together a 10-1 run to claim the win. In the final set, Kenyon won four of the last five points to prevail 15-11 and move to 9-1 overall.

The afternoon match against John Carroll University was close. The two teams traded sets throughout with a combined four points separating the victories in the second and third sets. However, Kenyon blew a 24-18 lead in the third set, which proved to be the difference.

In the end, John Carroll’s front line proved too much for Kenyon. Swanson led the Ladies with 20 kills in the loss. Despite a disappointing final match of the weekend, head coach Kendra Mosher expressed pride and confidence in her team’s overall performance.

“I am really happy with how our team fought this weekend,” Mosher said. “We could’ve been down on ourselves for being down 0-2 to Kalamazoo but pulled together to get a comeback win. I am hoping we can use this past weekend as a learning experience to make us better this season.”

The Ladies had a home match last night against the 15th ranked team in Division III, Ohio Northern University, where they fell in three sets.

Kenyon’s next match is on Sept. 22 in Meadville, Penn. as they will take on the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) opponent, Allegheny College, at 12 p.m.