Section: Track and Field

Becker leads Ladies to fourth-place, Lords stumble to eighth

Vincent Lewis ’20 takes first at Denison. | Courtesy of kenyon college athletics

Lords:

The Kenyon Lords track and field team landed an eighth-place finish at Denison University’s Bob Shannon Invitational this past Saturday. The Lords, competing against nine other teams, accumulated a total of 27 points across the 17 events scored at the competition. The Lords’ only first-place finish of the night came from Vincent Lewis ’20, who took the top spot in the 3,000-meter run with a time of 8:59.78. Lewis was later named NCAC distance runner of the week.

Kenyon’s other top finishes came from Tommy Johnson ’20, finishing in fifth with a time of 4:38.18 in the men’s 1-mile race. Thomas Guidotti ’21 trailed Johnson by just under four seconds to finish in sixth. Johnson also earned another fifth-place result in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:00.75. 

Ladies:

This past weekend, the Kenyon Ladies track and field team participated in the Bob Shannon Invitational and the All-Ohio Pentathlon at Denison University. In the invitational, the Ladies fought for a competitive fourth-place finish. Grace Moses ’20 claimed first place in the 1-mile run with a time of 5:25.67. Scoring another first place for the Ladies was Emma Becker ’22, whose 10:44.49 time won her the 3,000-meter run. Alice Riley ’23 placed third in the event, falling short of second place by less than a second. The Ladies’ final win came from the relay team, consisting of Caitlyn Haas ’20, Eleanor Kallay ’23, Mary Shawaker ’23 and Denna Medrano ’23, winning the 4×400-meter relay with a time of 4:17.07. At the All-Ohio Pentathlon, Abby McCarty ’22 and Erika Conant ’23 represented Kenyon. McCarty finished in fifth place with 2,561 individual points and Conant landed sixth with 2,316. Riley noted that the team “had some really wonderful performances” and that they’re “looking forward to seeing [their] times drop” heading into their end-of-season meets.

Kenyon’s track teams will compete twice this weekend as they travel to Ohio Wesleyan University for the Valentine’s Open on Friday, Feb. 14 and then to Otterbein University on Saturday, Feb. 15 for the All-Ohio Indoor Championship.