Section: Track and Field

Track and field teams win two events at Last Chance Meet

Tanner Orr ’19, takes the batton in a race this weekend. Orr will look to defend his long jump conference championship this weekend in Wooster, Ohio. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

Men’s

The Kenyon men’s track and field team competed in the unscored North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Last Chance Championship, where they won two events. Held annually at Denison University, the event is the Lords’ last before they compete in the NCAC indoor championships.

The Lords were looking to repeat their success in the event last year, where they won three events and tallied 11 top-10 finishes. Jordan Potter ’19 earned the first win of the Championship for the Lords, finishing the shot put event with a season-best 48 feet and 7.25 inches. Potter’s throw bested the second-place finisher by over a meter-and-a-half. Ifeatu Menakaya ’21 finished in the top five with a season-best score of 42 feet and 1.25 inches.

The second Lords first-place finish came in the 400-meter dash, where Cody Bratzler ’21 dominated with a season-best time of 53.43, almost two full seconds ahead of second place.

The Lords’ also placed well in the 1-mile run, with Tommy Johnson ’20, Will Oakley ’20 and Ethan Bradley ’20 finishing in third, fourth and fifth, respectively. In the 800-meter, Thomas Guidotti ’21 finished in 2:10.06, giving him seventh place in the event.

The Lords’ next event, the NCAC Indoor Championships at The College of Wooster, begins on March 1 at 12:30 p.m. and will continue on March 2 at 12:30 p.m.

Women’s

The Kenyon College women’s indoor track and field team competed last Friday night at the unscored Last Chance Meet at Denison University. For the Ladies, Caroline Daugherty ’19 had the best individual showing: She was one of eight Ladies to record top-eight finishes during the meet.

Daugherty took third place in the mile run with an impressive time of 5:49.13, a career best. Hannah Haynes ’21 also placed in the 1-mile run, finishing sixth, about 20 seconds behind Daugherty.

Kenyon sprinters also put up impressive performances, specifically frontrunners Cate Robertson ’22, Caitlyn Haas ’20 and Davida Harris ’22. Robertson secured a season-best time of 8.53 in the 60-yard dash, good for fourth place. Haas also finished with a season-best at 1:06.17 in the 400 meters, just 4 seconds ahead of Harris in seventh. Camille Baxter ’21 attempted the 3,000-meter race for the first time this season, finishing with a time of 12:09.70 in eighth place.

“There are a lot of strong underclassmen on the team who will be competitive in the upcoming conference meet and spring season,” Harris said.

The Ladies look forward to next weekend as they prepare for the North Coast Athletic Conference Championship meet at The College of Wooster.