Lords falter; Ladies, led by Vasquez, shine at Kalamazoo

Lords:

The Lords tennis team travelled to Toledo, Ohio this past weekend to compete in the Rocket Invitational. Hosted by Toledo University, the tournament featured a fierce lineup of opponents, including Case Western Reserve University and the University of Chicago, the No. 2 and No. 3 schools in the NCAA Division III Central Region, respectively. Also competing in the tournament were two Division I schools — the aforementioned Toledo, and Bellarmine University (Ky.). 

It was a forgettable competition for the Lords. They were able to score three victories in the singles bracket, led by Jack Wagner’s ’22 victory over Toledo’s Wojciech Szczęsny. The Lords also accumulated two victories against the University of Northern Ohio (Luis Andres Platas ’23 defeated Sergio Conde, and Rakkan Audeh convincingly beat Jacob Ramizez 6-0, 6-0). However, their overall singles record was a disappointing 3-14, and Kenyon failed to win any of their doubles matches, finishing 0-10.

The Lords will look to bounce back at the ITA Regional Championship on Oct. 1-3 at Kalamazoo College (Mich.).

Ladies:

The Ladies tennis team, led by Victoria Vasquez ’24, dominated at the ITA Central Regional Championship at Kalamazoo College (Mich.) this past weekend. Vasquez shone bright both in singles and doubles, reaching the semifinals in both brackets.

In the singles competition, ninth-seed Vasquez breezed into the quarterfinals, where she competed against her toughest opponent thus far — No. 2-seeded Shianna Guo of the University of Chicago (Ill.). Vasquez persevered, winning a hard-fought, three-set match 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-2. In the semifinals on Sunday, Vasquez lost to Miranda Yuan, also from the University of Chicago, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.

In doubles, Vasquez and teammate Daria Beshentseva ’22 made it one step further, reaching the finals of the competition. The duo, which entered as the No. 4 seed, defeated the No. 5 and No. 2-seeded teams in the quarterfinals and semifinals, respectively. However, they fell tragically in the finals to the top-seeded squad of Guo and Sylwia Mikos from the University of Chicago, 4-6 7-6(1), 10-4.