Section: Tennis

Tennis teams both top in North Coast Athletic Conference

Anna Winslow anticipates the ball in her victory-clinching match.

Mens

The Kenyon men’s tennis team raised their overall record to 10-3 when they beat the Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) Battling Bishops last Saturday. After their two-week break from matches, the Lords swept the Bishops, finishing with a final score of 9-0. After that they proceeded to defeat their major rival Denison University, steamrolling them 8-1.

Henry Barrett ’19 and Nicholas Paolucci ’19 moved up to the No. 1 doubles position, finishing off with an 8-5 win over OWU’s Jack Hibbard and Omar Santiagonunez.

Anatol Doroskevic ’19 and Pascal Lee ’22 also earned an 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles, while Henry Wessel ’21 and Jacob Zalenski ’20 completed the doubles sweep at No. 3 with an 8-2 final score.

The Lords also defeated Denison in Granville, Ohio, on Wednesday, winning eight out of their nine matchups. After two matches the Lords and Big Red were tied 1-1, before Austin Diehl ’20 and Zalenski finished up their doubles win against Vlad Rotnov and Brian Weisberg by a score of 8-3. This result gave the Lords a 2-1 advantage entering the singles portion which they proceeded to sweep. Bryan Yoshino ’21 clinched the match with his victory over Patrick McGuigan to top the No. 26-ranked Big Red.

The victory gives the No. 12-ranked Lords a commanding position against the second highest-ranked North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) team. They move to 2-0 in the NCAC, good for first place in the NCAC East.

The Lords only have three more conference matches before the NCAC Tournament, with the next coming at home on April 9 at 4:30 p.m. against the College of Wooster.

Womens

The Kenyon women’s tennis team dominated this past weekend, beating both Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) and Swarthmore College. After these wins, the Ladies currently rank No. 11 in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III, and have won their last seven straight matches for a record of 9-0 divisionally and 10-2 on the season.

The Ladies’ win over OWU’s Battling Bishops is their 15th consecutive in the matchup. The Ladies had little trouble and only surrendered one individual match in the outing. Daria Beshentseva ’22 and Ilana Blackwood ’21 secured the No. 1 doubles matchup; this was their first win at number one this season. Blackwood, however, fell short in her clash against OWU’s No.1-ranked singles player Lauren Corcoran 6-1, 4-6, 10-4. Kenyon won all six remaining matches, acquiring their ninth win of the year.

Kenyon also was victorious in their next game, an 8-1 blowout against 25th-ranked Swarthmore. Despite the score, the Swarthmore Garnets played extremely hard and kept almost every match very close.

After beginning the matchup with a loss to Swarthmore’s third-ranked doubles duo, Kenyon responded with its first victory of the day: Beshentseva and Blackwood prevailed as the second-ranked doubles team in an 8-5 match win. This is the duo’s seventh win in their last eight matches.

With the game tied 1-1, Kenyon’s number one doubles team stepped in. Erika Oku ’21 and Maggie Sweeney ’19 earned a win for their Ladies in a well-fought matchup, putting the Ladies ahead 2-1.

The Ladies will attempt to continue their winning ways as they travel to Madison, Wis., to take part in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Midwest Invitational this coming weekend.