Bears snap Ladies streak; Lords defeat Scots

Ilana Blackwood ’21 returns ball against Washington University. Blackwood’s win over Ashley Lessen sealed victory for the Ladies. | SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA

Men’s

The Kenyon men’s tennis team continued their decade-long domination of the College of Wooster on Tuesday, defeating the Fighting Scots 8-1 on Senior Day.

The Fighting Scots have won a total of 5 out of 63 individual matches against the Lords in the past seven years, and from 2011 to 2016, the Lords have not dropped a single individual match against them.

The Lords secured victory in all six of the singles matches. In No. 1 singles, Austin Diehl ’20 handily defeated Wooster’s Joaquin Abos Amo 6-4, 6-2.

The closest singles match was No. 3, between Nicholas Paolucci ’19 and Wooster’s Austin Hanna. Paolucci was able to prevail in an intense 7-5, 6-4 victory.

Both No. 4 and No. 5 singles, Pascal Lee ’22 and Jack Wagner ’22, were able to win their matches without dropping a single game.

Both No. 1 and No. 3 doubles were able to secure victories in eight-game pro sets. The Lords now have a record of 12-3, and are 1-0 in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC). They are ranked No. 12 nationally and No. 3 regionally.

The Lords’ next event is against Oberlin College on April 13 at the Vandenberg Courts at 3:30 p.m

Women’s

The Kenyon College women’s tennis team had a long weekend, reaching the finals in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Midwest Invitational tournament at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wis. No. 11 Kenyon picked up wins against No. 35 Gustavus Adolphus College and No. 16 Washington University in St. Louis on Friday before falling to No. 9 University of Chicago (Chicago) in Saturday’s final.

In their first matchup, the Ladies defeated the Gusties in a 5-4 series. Kenyon started with a 2-1 lead, with doubles wins from Kayla Pukys ’21 and Annie Reiner ’19, and Erika Oku ’21 and Maggie Sweeney ’19. Gustavus retaliated with three singles wins of their own, however Reiner, Oku and Daria Beshentseva ’22 went on to win the last three matches and steal victory.

In the second round, the Ladies dominated Washington’s Bears. The No. 1 and 2 doubles teams opened with victories before the Ladies won 4 out of 6 singles matches.

In the invitational final, Kenyon met the Chicago Maroons and saw its nine-match winning streak broken as Chicago bested the Ladies, 6-3. The Ladies quickly fell behind in the series, taking two losses from Chicago’s doubles team. Doubles No. 1 Oku and Sweeney claimed a come-from-behind 8-6 victory against Eugenia Lee and Catherine Xu, the top-ranked doubles team of the Central Region.

Chicago showed their well-respected depth in singles, gaining the first four wins in the singles portion. Sweeney and Oku displayed great spirit after Chicago had clinched, winning both remaining singles matches to bringing the total series to 6-3.

Kenyon moves to 12-3 on the season and looks to build off of a strong tournament outing in their next conference matchup at home against Oberlin College on April 13.