Section: Swim and Dive

Lords and Ladies battle for trip to NCAA Championship

The swim teams raced for their last chance to get as many swimmers as possible on their NCAA championship roster. | COURTESY OF KENYON COLLEGE ATHLETICS

Over the weekend, the Kenyon men’s and women’s swim teams hosted the Fast Chance Meet, the final meet of the season at the Steen Aquatic Center. This race presented the last chance for Lords and Ladies to lower their seed times and qualify for the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III Championship (NCAAs).

To qualify for NCAAs, swimmers either have to get an “A” cut, with which one automatically qualifies, or a “B” cut, where the best “B” cut times will be placed until the event fills to capacity.

Nine Lord’s times qualified for the NCAA “B” cut. In his final home meet, Aj Reid ’19 hit season bests of 55.41 and 48.82 in the 100-yard breaststroke and 100-yard butterfly, respectively. Both of these times were good enough for the NCAA “B” cut, yet Reid only qualified for NCAAs in the breaststroke. Despite winning the 200 individal medley with a time of 1:52.60, Mark Lang ’22 only achieved a “B” cut in the 400 individal medley, shaving almost three full seconds off his seed time with a 3:55.88. Lang’s time was good enough for him to join his upperclassmen teammates in Greensboro with just a year of college swimming under his belt.

Three Ladies also scored NCAA “B” cuts at Fast Chance. Summer Otazu’s ’20 56.32 in the 100-yard backstroke earned her a “B” cut, and was also her best time of the season. The other two qualifications for the Ladies came in long-distance. Alexis Vetrano ’21 came across first in the 500-yard freestyle (4:58.30) and made the cut by over 2 seconds. Both of these times helped the Ladies earn their spots at NCAAs.

The final swimmer in purple and black to get a “B” cut was Claire Murray ’21, but she did not improve on her seed time leaving her off the Greensboro roster.

Over break, the Lords and Ladies will begin their preparations for the NCAAs, which will take place on March 20 in Greensboro, N.C.