Lords continue dominance, Dion scores winner for Ladies

Olivia Dion ’22 dribbles along the sideline. She scored the only goal in a 1-0 victory against Franklin. | SEJIN KIM/KENYON SID/NCAA

Lords: 

Through rain and shine, the Lords excelled this week, beating both Case Western Reserve University and Marietta College to extend their winning streak to six games.

In their first game, a 2-0 win over the Case Western Reserve Spartans, the Lords attacked early and often. Within the first few minutes of the second half — the game still knotted at 0-0 — Mac Nardiello-Smith ’23 pushed the initiative, putting a shot on goal. While his shot was saved, just minutes later — following a Case Western shot on goal and subsequent Lords counterattack — his teammate Luke Muther ’22 found Alti Hrafnkelsson ’23 for a tap-in goal.

In the 69th minute, Alem Duratovic ’25 capitalized on a Spartan blunder and scored the game’s final goal. 

On Wednesday, the Lords battled the Marietta College Pioneers through a torrential rainstorm — a storm so intense that it forced Kenyon to relocate from their normal pitch on Mavec Field to the Benson Bowl turf.

Kenyon dominated the game offensively, registering double the amount of shots (16 to eight), shots on goal (six to three) and total goals scored (2-1). The Lords first found the back of the net in the second minute of the game, on a shot by Sebastian Gaese ’23 to the lower-right corner of the net. The Pioneers equalized in the 30th minute, but a goal by Sam Carson ’22 in the 58th minute sealed the victory for the men from Gambier. Carson had a stellar game, accounting for five total shots, three of which were on goal, in addition to the goal he scored.

The Lords will next play on Saturday, Sept. 25 against their conference rival Allegheny College at 3:30 p.m on Mavec Field. Kenyon will be looking to extend their seven-game winning streak against the Gators to eight.

Ladies: 

In their first match of the week (and first road match of the season), the Ladies persevered 1-0 in a nail-biter over the Franklin College Grizzlies. Kenyon was highly aggressive and utterly dominant on the offensive side of the ball; the Ladies tallied 24 shots compared to the Grizzlies’ three, and had nine corner kicks compared to Franklin College’s zero.

Kenyon’s issue — at least in the first half — was that they struggled to place their shots on target. Eleven of their 24 shots came in the first half, but only one was on frame.

The Ladies were finally able to break the deadlock early in the second half, when Olivia Dion ’22 capitalized off a corner kick by Sadie Gould ’24, putting Kenyon up for good. 

In their second game of the week against Otterbein University, the Ladies failed to continue their momentum. Kenyon couldn’t break through Otterbein’s defense despite being able to hold their opponents scoreless going into halftime. Unfortunately for the Ladies, Otterbein scored in the 53rd and 75th minutes, and held on to win 2-0.