Strong defense key for Ladies soccer

The Ladies continued their season Saturday with a home matchup against the Shenandoah University Hornets. With the rain pouring down and soaking Mavec Field, it was bound to be a tightly contested game.

While the Ladies put several balls on goal early, including a narrow miss off the crossbar by Samantha Hayes ’21, it was the Hornets that started and ended the scoring with a goal coming about eight minutes before the first-half whistle to put the Hornets ahead 1-0.

In the second half, the Ladies were unable to put together a possession that led to a goal, so the game ended in a 0-1 defeat for Kenyon.

Two days later, as the rain continued to fall, the Ladies took on another out-of-conference opponent in the SUNY Buffalo State Bengals.

Due to poor conditions, the game was moved from Mavec Field to McBride Field, home of the Kenyon football team. The Ladies made sure to test the skills of Buffalo State keeper Taylor Carillo ’20, who would notch six saves throughout the game.

The Ladies ended up putting six shots on goal compared to the Bengals’ one, including a Gwyneth Phillips ’20 header which struck the right upright. The game ended  in a frustrating 0-0 draw.

The Ladies traveled to Washington, Pa. to take on the Washington and Jefferson College Presidents. It was a tough, defensive game once again as the Ladies pulled out the tight 1-0 win. Fallon Raviol ’20 netted the only Kenyon goal while keeper Jillian Countey ’20 added another clean sheet to her early season résumé.

This Sunday Kenyon will travel to Franklin College as they try to gain momentum going into conference play.