Jillian Countey racks up two more clean sheets for Ladies

On Wednesday, Sept. 19, the Kenyon College women’s soccer team earned their third consecutive win of the season against the John Carroll University Lobos. With a final score of 1-0, Samantha Hayes ’21 scored the game-winning goal in the 93rd minute of extra time.

It was a well-executed goal; Olivia Dion ’22 worked into space on the right flank, and was then able to cut the ball back inside and put it in the middle of the box where Hayes met it with her foot.

“In the second half of John Carroll we started connecting more in the midfield and in the final third of our offense,” Annie Hesse ’20 said. “This definitely helped us stay in the game and gave us the opportunity to put one away in the first half of overtime,” The fight was not easy, but keeper Jillian Countey ’20 ended the game with a career single-game high of 11 saves, which resulted in her third shutout of the season and the 15th of her Kenyon career.

The Ladies’ second game of the week came against Wittenberg University on Sept. 22. The game ended in an uneventful 0-0 draw. Even though she did not score the game-winning goal, Hayes came out on top with a total of four shots, followed by Jaidyn Cook ’22 and Fallon Raviol ’20, who had two shots each.

Within the first 30 minutes of the game, Countey held strong, and the Kenyon defense held strong to keep the Wittenberg Tigers even with the Ladies.

“The team was excited for our first conference game against Witt,” Hesse said. “We definitely played better in the second half but had difficulty finishing opportunities up top. Caroline [McNeer ’21] did an outstanding job of shutting down their best offensive player which helped keep our team in the game.”

After 90 minutes of play, the teams went into overtime. The Tigers nearly scored on a header attempt, but Countey was able to make the save with her right hand. Throughout the rest of the overtime, Kenyon could not muster any shots, while Wittenberg took four, two of which were saved by Countey.

The Ladies will return to the field this Saturday, Sept. 29, when they travel to play against Denison University.