Section: Lacrosse

Lacrosse teams both push for NCAC tournament berths

6 APRIL 2019; DEPAUW UNIVERSITY plays KENYON COLLEGE in a men's lacrosse match at McBride Field

Women’s

This past week, the Kenyon womens’ lacrosse team extended their college-record winning streak to a total of 11 games after they beat Wittenberg University 21-17 on Saturday and Oberlin College 16-15 on Tuesday. The Ladies improved to 12-2 overall and 5-0 in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) for just the second time in Kenyon history.

The Ladies earned their 10th straight win in their game against the Wittenberg Tigers. Cassie Hudson-Heck ’19 scored seven goals in the game to give her a total of 59 on the season and 180 in her career. Avery Morgan ’20 also added five goals, while Maya Fair ’22, Maggie Grabowski ’20 and Jayne Gelman ’22 each had a two-point game.

Against Oberlin, Kenyon led 5-2 after the first six minutes, but Oberlin came back quickly to tie the game at 5-5 within a two-minute span. The Ladies got back in front to 9-5 as Morgan and Fair each scored twice.

The second half was back-and-forth, but the Ladies fought to stay ahead. With 1:17 remaining and the score being 16-15 in Kenyon’s favor, the Ladies turned the ball over, but a poor pass from Oberlin went out of bounds. Kenyon then earned the ball back and sprinted down the field to run out the clock.

The Ladies had 26 turnovers against Oberlin, the most since their game against Sewanee: The University of the South on March 8, where they had 36. Morgan scored a game-high six goals followed by Fair, who contributed another five. Grabowski only scored once, but she gathered four ground balls alongside 11 draw controls, passing former Kenyon great Jane Symmes ’16 with a total of 282 draw controls.

“This game really put us to the test in terms of conference play, but we were able to come together and push through to earn the win,” Carina Barnes ’19 said.

The Ladies will head to Indiana this Saturday to play DePauw University at 12 p.m. in another NCAC game.

Men’s

Entering the week with a North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) record of 2-2 and sitting in fifth place, the Lords won two critical conference games this week: first, a 15-9 victory against DePauw University on Saturday for Senior Day, and then a 15-8 win at Oberlin College on Wednesday. With only the top four teams making the NCAC tournament and both DePauw and Oberlin treading at the bottom of the standings, these two games were must-wins to boost the Lords’ conference record.

DePauw scored just one minute into the first quarter, but the Lords responded quickly with goals from Emilio Sosa ’19 and Sam Humphrey ’20. DePauw tied the game at 2-2, but the Lords would tear open a 7-4 run to go into halftime with a 9-6 lead before ultimately winning the game 15-9.

Nick Vitale ’19 led the team in assists with five on the day, which bumped his season total to 43, breaking the single season assists record (42) that was previously set in 1973 by Dave Cronin ’73.

“Saturday’s game was a great showing both in terms of the team and support from the fans,” Mike Harris ’19 said. “In addition, it was a great way to send the seniors off on a good note.”

Against the Yeomen, the Lords opened with three straight goals before Oberlin responded with four unanswered of their own. The Lords then scored ten unanswered goals, five in the first half, to take a commanding 13-4 lead. From there the Lords never looked back, winning 15-8. The victory moved the Lords to 4-2 in the NCAC, helping them leapfrog Wooster for the No. 3 seed in the conference after their 22-9 loss to Denison University.

The Lords finish off the regular season with two more NCAC games, at Wabash College on April 20 and against the College of Wooster on April 23 in Gambier. If the Lords can claim victory in both games they will guarantee themselves a spot in the NCAC Tournament for the second year in a row and the sixth time in seven years.