Section: Football

Lords football falls in a nailbiter at Hiram

Following a much needed bye week, the Lords football team traveled to Delaware, Ohio to take on North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) opponent Ohio Wesleyan University. It was a tough game for the Lords, who struggled to find their rhythm offensively.

Before the end of the first quarter, the Lords found themselves down 28-0, but Kenyon was able to put together a nine-play, 75-yard drive that ended with a 28-yard touchdown pass to Ian Robertson ’19. This would be quarterback Thomas Merkle’s ’20 sixth touchdown pass of the season, and the second time he has connected with Robertson. This was the only scoring drive of the game for the Lords as they continued to struggle against the Ohio Wesleyan defense. Roberston led the team in receiving; he was targeted 10 times for 142 yards.

The following weekend the Lords would be back on the road traveling for another in-conference matchup against Hiram College. Kenyon put forth a strong effort despite being down 14-9 at halftime. The team came out of the locker room in the third quarter with a sense of urgency, and with 6:21 left in the quarter Merkle found Robertson in the endzone once again. The touchdown capped off an 11-play, 45-yard drive for the Lords, giving them their first lead of the game. Before the end of the quarter, the Lords scored again with a pass caught by Zach Filips ’20. That finished a six-play, 58-yard drive that gave the Lords a 24-14 advantage going into the fourth quarter. 

However, Hiram was not done yet. A little under five minutes into the final quarter they scored, bringing Hiram within three points. The next 11 minutes were an all-out battle, but with just 34 seconds left in the contest, Hiram scored. This put them up 28-24, ending the game in a win for the Terriers.

Offensively for the Lords, Merkle had another strong showing with 38-62 and 373 yards, while Robertson was the top receiver, making 19 catches for 192 yards and breaking the record for the number of catches made in a single game — a record which was previously held by Brian Hunca ’17.

Defensively for the Lords, Sam Dickey ’20 posted a game- and career-high 19 tackles. Zavier Chisholm Hensley ’20 ended the game with two sacks, and Josh Jones ’21 registered an interception and eight tackles.

This Saturday, the Lords return to McBride Field at 2 p.m., where they will take on Allegheny College in another NCAC matchup.