Section: Baseball

Lords baseball splits doubleheader at Wabash College

On Saturday, the Kenyon baseball team made the trip to Crawfordsville, Ind., to play a doubleheader against North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) foe Wabash College. The Lords split the series, losing the first game 13-3 but winning the second game 6-1.

The opening game proved disappointing: Lords pitching allowed 15 hits, and seven other Wabash Little Giants reached base through walks. Alex Gow ’21, who had been off to a strong start on the mound, was knocked around; he pitched just four innings and gave up six runs on nine hits, three walks and no strikeouts.

His relief, Joel Biery ’22, despite his equally promising start to the season, did not fare much better against the red-hot Wabash offense.

Biery ended up relinquishing five runs in less than an inning of work. On the bright side, Pat O’Leary ’20 smashed his NCAC-leading sixth home run of the campaign.

Heading into game two against the Little Giants, Kenyon desperately needed someone to come up with a strong pitching performance to weather the storm.

Zach Elsawy ’22 provided that with yet another outstanding outing on the mound; he pitched six innings of one-run ball, bringing his ERA to a stunning .75 for the season and helping improve his record to 3-0.

Ross Scheinberg ’19 followed, and his arsenal was just as baffling to Wabash hitters. After striking out four in three shutout innings, Schienberg slammed the door and earned himself the save.

The Lords’ offense got some strong production from the underclassmen hitting in the bottom half of the lineup. Will Sturgeon ’22 had two hits, both of which produced runs. Brent Henderson ’22 drove in two and also came around to score twice as Kenyon prevailed, 6-1.

“What we need to be able to do is create opportunities offensively and cash in on those opportunities,” Head Coach Matt Burdette said. “When we have struggled this year, it has generally been a byproduct of not getting the big hits when we need them or not being productive in those big spots.”

The team will return to McCloskey Field today for another NCAC doubleheader, this time against the Hiram College.