Men’s, women’s tennis defeat ranked opponents at home

Pocasangre Kreling excelled. | COURTESY OF TATE JONES

The men’s and women’s tennis teams both took on ranked opponents in the last week, with the No. 26 men’s team upsetting No. 19 Carnegie Mellon University (Pa.) to go 3-0 during the week, while the No. 43 women’s team defeated No. 26 Denison University to move to 2-0 on the week. The men’s record improved to 10-7 (4-1 NCAC) and the women’s record stands at 10-6 (5-0 NCAC).

Men: On the Owls’ home courts on Friday, the No. 26 men’s tennis team defeated No. 19 Carnegie Mellon to claim a big non-conference win. The Owls came out swinging, sweeping all three doubles match-ups. The most difficult match came on the No. 1 court, where Paulo Pocasangre Kreling ’26 and Gianluca Bocanegra ’27 defeated their Tartan opponents 8-5. The other two Kenyon doubles courts followed the early win up with results of 8-4 and 8-2 in favor of the Owls. In singles, Bocanegra kept up his momentum, winning the only three-setter of the day, 6-1, 2-6, 6-3. Carnegie Mellon kept its hopes alive with victories on the No. 1 and No. 4 courts, but Rakkan Audeh ’25 and Eric Zhang ’25 eventually vanquished the Tartans with strong showings on courts No. 5 and 6, respectively. Audeh won a tightly contested matchup 7-5, 6-4, while Zhang came out on top 6-2, 7-5. The Owls’ defeat of the Tartans marks the second time this season that Kenyon has taken down a nationally ranked opponent, with the other coming against No. 18 California Institute of Technology in March.

Following up their success from the day prior, the Owls hit the road to take on the Oberlin College Yeomen and came home with a 9-0 sweep. This time, the hardest doubles test went down on the No. 2 court, where Rishil Kondapaneni ’25 and Zhang bested their counterparts 8-6. The Owls didn’t slow down as they moved onto the singles courts, winning every single match in straight sets. Despite losing his match on the No. 1 court the day prior, Pocasangre Kreling was dominant against his opponent, only dropping two games to win 6-1, 6-1. Zhang also recorded an impressive 6-0, 6-1 victory on court No. 6.

Kenyon rounded out its third straight day of competition on Sunday, making quick work of The College of Wooster and coming away with an 8-1 victory. Once again, the Owls swept the doubles matches and jumped out to a 3-0 lead against the Fighting Scots. Singles also proved to be a breeze for Kenyon, as Zhang posted a flawless 6-0, 6-0 finish on the No. 5 court, which was followed up by a nearly perfect 6-0, 6-1 match from Christophe Leblanc ’25.

The Owls, who have won five of their last six matches, head into the home stretch of conference play this weekend. The men’s team will host DePauw University on Saturday, before welcoming Wabash College on Sunday.

Women: Continuing conference play, the No. 43 women’s tennis team recorded a perfect 9-0 sweep of Oberlin College on Saturday. In their last away game of the season, the Owls were commanding on the court, never dropping more than three games in a set. On the No. 3 court in doubles play, Lalasa Nagireddy ’25 teamed up with Madeline Chappars ’27 to take down the Yeowomen 8-0. In singles, the duo continued their dominance independently and both fended off their competitors in blowout fashion. On the No. 5 court, Nagireddy made quick work of her opponent in a 6-0, 6-0 victory, while Chappars dropped only one game to win 6-1, 6-0. Shadia Amado Aguad ’26 also recorded a perfect 6-0, 6-0 against her Yeowoman opponent on court No. 3. 

On Wednesday, the Owls got back into action against No. 26 Denison University, securing the upset and beating the Big Red 7-1. All three doubles courts made quick work of their opponents, putting Kenyon up 3-0. On court No. 3, Nagireddy and Ana Brand ’27 easily held their counterparts at bay, allowing them to win only two games to Kenyon’s eight. In singles play, Eleni Lazaridou ’26 and Allaire Berl ’26 both posted 6-0, 6-1 wins on courts No. 1 and No. 2, respectively. Despite dropping the court No. 4 match-up, the Owls came out victorious against the Big Red.

The Owls will finish out their conference play at home on Saturday in their Senior Day match against DePauw University. Then, the team will travel to Pittsburgh to take on No. 8 Carnegie Mellon University on Sunday.