Section: Softball

Softball notches comeback wins, hosts home doubleheader

McCutchen pitched 6.2 innings in a comeback win. | COURTESY OF MARTY FULLER

The Kenyon softball team headed east to Pittsburgh to face off against Carnegie Mellon University (Pa.) and the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg (Pa.) (Pitt-Greensburg), before hosting Capital University for its home opener. Breaking their eight-game winning streak, the Owls went 2-4 to bring their overall record to 12-8.

On Saturday, Kenyon faced off against Carnegie Mellon. In game one, the afternoon’s cold weather seemed to freeze the Owls’ bats. The Tartans opened the scoring with a sacrifice fly in the second inning to take a lead that they would never surrender. Carnegie Mellon tacked on three runs in the fourth inning, capitalizing on a ground out and an error. Though Maddie Friday ’24 got Kenyon on the board in the fifth with her first home run of the season, the Owls fell 4-1. The Tartans’ offense came alive in game two, scoring eight runs, four of which were unearned. The Owls could only muster one run, as Natalya Delsante ’25 knocked in an RBI single in the 8-1 defeat.

Kylie Hamm ’27, Kenyon’s game one starter, was proud of the Owls’ effort despite a difficult foe and tough conditions. “We truly fought the entire time and had much better energy than them, despite the score,” she wrote in an email to the Collegian. “They had a tough pitcher, and I think we can learn a lot from her and what pitches exactly each one of us need to work on hitting for our upcoming games. The two games were also played during freezing temperatures, and I think that taught us a lot about having mental toughness and having to work through unfavorable environments.”

Kenyon returned to the diamond a day later to take on Pitt-Greensburg. The Owls jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning of game one, as Maeve McLaughlin ’26 and Madison Buckwalter ’26 each drove in a run. The Bobcats evened things up with a pair of runs in the second inning. In the top of the next inning, Keala Montgomery ’27 singled to center to give the Owls the lead, then drove in another run with a sacrifice fly in the fifth. Pitt-Greensburg refused to go away quietly and capitalized on an error to tie things up in the bottom of the inning. Neither team was able to grab the lead through seven innings, but an RBI single in the eighth inning gave the Bobcats a walk-off 5-4 victory.

Though Kenyon again opened the scoring in game two, Pitt-Greensburg looked primed to cruise to an easy victory after pouring on nine runs through three innings. Trailing 9-3, the previously dormant Owls’ offense came to life in the fourth inning. Kenyon took advantage of small ball, stringing together singles and strong baserunning to cut the deficit to one run. The Owls tied things up at nine-all in the sixth inning, before Montgomery’s go-ahead single drove in Celia Torino ’27 and McLaughlin. Kenyon tacked on five more insurance runs to earn a come-from-behind 16-9 win. In an email to the Collegian, Ari Jalomo ’26, who went 3-for-5 and drove in five runs, highlighted Kenyon’s ability to take advantage of Pitt-Greensburg’s mistakes: “We capitalized on defensive errors that were made by Greensburg and increased our energy from the first to [the] second game.”

Allison McCutchen ’26 put together a sparkling performance in relief, pitching 6.2 innings and facing 28 batters. The sophomore credited her teammates for their support throughout the victory. “I trusted my team behind me to back me up when I was pitching in the field, and we all knew that we had the ability to come back and score more runs to get back in the game,” McCutchen wrote in an email to the Collegian. “The support from the team was incredibly motivating because I could tell that they trusted me to work and get us out of it, and I trusted that they would help me through it.”

Ahead of Wednesday’s games against Capital, Montgomery, who went 3-for-5 with three RBIs in game two against Pitt-Greensburg, emphasized the importance of Kenyon maintaining its intensity. “We’ve fought back a lot already this year, and I expect that competitive spirit will continue and we’ll have success,” she wrote in an email to the Collegian.

After two scoreless innings in game one, Capital gained some offensive momentum, putting runners on second and third after a pair of singles and a double steal. Unfortunately, a Kenyon error gave Capital a 1-0 lead, and the Comets added two more unearned runs before the end of the inning. In the fourth inning, Brooke Avila ’27’s RBI double cut the deficit to 3-1, but Capital tacked on two insurance runs in the sixth inning to win 5-1. 

The Comets opened game two with a leadoff triple and took a 1-0 lead two batters later, but Montgomery answered back with an RBI double in the bottom of the inning to even the score. After Capital regained the lead in the fourth inning, Amanda Harris ’25 singled to left field and drove in Lindsey George ’26 to tie things up at two-all. Looking to avoid a sweep in the home opener, Montgomery’s go-ahead RBI double in the fifth inning scored Delsante. Avila brought Montgomery home with a sacrifice fly, and the Owls came away with a 4-2 win.

Kenyon will host Otterbein University on Saturday for its Senior Day, when the Owls will honor Friday, their lone senior. Hamm believes that the team will continue to grow and find success as the season continues. “We all trust one another and are each other’s biggest supporters. I have never been on a team that fosters such an encouraging and nurturing environment, but still competitive and always pushing one another,” she said. “If we keep this going, which I know we will, and bring back our lights-out defense that we had over spring break, we will have no problem having success back home.”