Owls sweep non-conference opponents on Gambier courts

Amado Aguad was dominant on Sunday. | COURTESY OF SEAN GIBSON

Over the weekend, the No. 18 Kenyon women’s tennis team hosted two non-conference opponents, Otterbein University and Earlham College (Ind.), decisively sweeping both teams. Kenyon’s record now sits at 5-5 and it remains undefeated at home.

The Owls started their Sunday bright and early against Otterbein, never dropping a set and earning the 9-0 sweep. On the No. 1 doubles court, Leni Lazaridou ’26 and Allaire Berl ’26 beat their Cardinal opponents 8-4. This proved to be Kenyon’s toughest doubles test of the day, as the other two doubles courts produced even better results for the Owls. Lalasa Nagireddy ’25 and Ana Brand ’27 teamed up for an 8-2 victory, while a dominant Eleni Dakos ’24 and Shadia Amado Aguad ’26 secured an 8-0 win on court No. 2. 

Kenyon continued its success in the singles match-ups, with the toughest test of the day again going to Lazaridou, who won a 6-4, 6-2 battle on court No. 1. Every other Kenyon player held their Otterbein opponent to a maximum of three games per set, and many even held their players to 6-0 in at least one set. Both Berl and Brand had notable performances for Kenyon, each posting perfect 6-0, 6-0 victories on courts No. 2 and 5, respectively.

Later in the day, the Owls proved their dominance once again, recording a clear 9-0 sweep against Earlham. Doubles play proved to be no problem for the Owls, with all three courts denying any of their Quakers competitors a hold of serve. With three 8-0 doubles victories in their pockets, Kenyon headed into singles play. Moving up to the No. 1 court for the afternoon matches, Berl dropped just one game in her 6-1, 6-0 win. She was the only Owl to concede any points to the Quakers, as every other match resulted in a flawless 6-0, 6-0 Kenyon win. Throughout the 18 matches played on Sunday, the Owls allowed their opponents to win only 22 games.

With two decisive victories under its belt, Kenyon will remain at home this Friday to take No. 19 Case Western Reserve University, in what is shaping up to be a critical match-up before conference play.