Section: Golf

Owls fly south to Georgia, Oakes soars to NCAC honor

Oakes led Kenyon once again. | COURTESY OF MARTY FULLER

The No. 23 Kenyon golf team got back to work over the weekend, competing in the Jekyll Island Collegiate Invitational on St. Simons Island in Georgia. The Owls shot a total of 892 over the three rounds, tying for 11th in the field of 30 teams. 

Kenyon carded a team score of 302 on the first day of play, leaving the Owls near the middle of the pack in a tie for 16th. Looking to forget Friday’s score, Kenyon headed back to the course on Saturday and totaled a team score of 286, the Owls’ best score of the invitational and the fourth-best round in program history. 

Sophomore Will Hulsey ’26 spearheaded Kenyon’s success, as he recorded a 67. In an email to Collegian, Hulsey described his thoughts on the spring season: “The spring has gone well so far, but we haven’t reached our peak yet. We have flown up the rankings since the end of the fall season, and I believe that we are only going to continue to go up.” Hulsey’s score of 67 is tied for the third-best single-round score in Kenyon’s program history. On Saturday, Hulsey carded three birdies on the front nine and two on the back nine. Jonathan Oakes ’27 and Jaiden Koonar ’27 shot a 71 and 73, respectively, to contribute to the team score. After the comeback, the Owls moved from 16th place in the field up to 13th place by the end of Saturday’s round.

Though Hulsey recorded the lowest single-round score for Kenyon, Oakes put up the team’s best overall score, shooting a 219 over the weekend, earning him NCAC Athlete of the Week honors. Shooting 73, 71 and 75 in each respective round, Oakes tied for 15th in the individual standings in a field of 150 golfers. At the conclusion of Sunday’s round, Kenyon moved into a tie for 11th place with three other teams. 

The Owls now have three weeks off until their next competition on April 12, which will be the two-day Fred Kravetz Invitational hosted by Rochester College (Mich.). In an email to the Collegian, Oakes expressed his excitement at the team’s success: “We had a solid finish at Jekyll considering the size and strength of the field. That being said, we definitely have more in us and we’re looking to do better in our tournaments leading up to the conference.”