Section: Lacrosse

Men’s lacrosse loses rivalry game to Denison on the road

The Kenyon men’s lacrosse team suffered a 20-10 defeat against Denison University in a rematch of last season’s NCAC Championship. The loss dropped Kenyon to 6-4 (0-1 NCAC) on its season, while Denison reached a .500 record at 4-4. 

In an email to the Collegian, David Chintala ’26 reflected on the importance of mental toughness and preparation ahead of intense matches: “Rivalry games always bring an extra edge to practice. I thought we had a pretty good week, but with a young team and this being our first rivalry game of the year, we were definitely not where we should have been mentally going into the game.”

Despite the initial faceoff win from Thomas Nelson ’25, the Big Red controlled much of the game, scoring three quick goals after a turnover on the Owls’ opening possession. Although Kenyon managed to narrow the gap to two goals by the end of the first quarter, Denison pulled away yet again.

Denison’s dominance continued into the second quarter with a 5-0 run, maintaining its lead throughout the game. The Owls entered the half down 11-4 thanks to goals from Chintala, Jack McCarren ’26 and Mike Kapral ’26, but Kenyon’s mountain to climb only got steeper. 

It was much of the same in the beginning of the third quarter, as Denison scored two early goals to put the game fully out of reach. Despite a stronger offensive showing from Kenyon in the second half, with a 29-23 shot advantage, the Owls couldn’t reduce the deficit, scoring only six goals to the Big Red’s nine. Chintala stood out for Kenyon with four goals and one assist, while Kapral and McCarren contributed two goals each. 

The Owls will have a week off before taking on Wabash College in Gambier on Saturday. “This week is going to be a reset for us. Losing streaks are tough so we can use the long week to readjust many of our gameplans,” Chintala explained. “We also are going to watch a lot of film from our past games in order to fix any mistakes we can find from the past few games.”