Swimming, diving teams host Case Western for Senior Day

Krtinic won the 50-yard free. | COURTESY OF GRAHAM STOKES

Men: The No. 1 Kenyon men’s swimming and diving team defeated No. 15 Case Western Reserve University 206.5-111.5 on Senior Day. The win brings the Owls’ record on the season to 5-2 (3-0 NCAC). It was Kenyon’s fourth straight victory over Case Western going back to 2011.

In an email to the Collegian, Marko Krtinic ’24 described the importance of Senior Day. “I saw a lot of effort from the whole team to make us seniors feel special for our last dual meet and they succeeded,” he said. “It was very enjoyable, and I am very thankful for them.”

To open the day, the Owls quickly picked up a first-place finish in the 200-yard medley relay when Yurii Kosian ’24, Aleksa Dobric ’25, Krtinic and Aleksa Kisic ’25 swam a 1:29.09. Next, in the individual 1000-yard freestyle, Kenyon secured both first and second place from Teo Jaworski ’26 and Niko Theodos ’26, respectively. The Owls kept the good results coming as Djordje Dragojlovic ’26 and Ethan Manske ’26 also got first and second place, respectively, in the 200-yard freestyle.

The 100-yard backstroke was no different for the Owls, as Daniel Brooks ’24 nabbed another victory with a time of 49.31. Dobric then followed with another win, this time in the 100-yard breaststroke, swimming the race in 55.04. Noel Tumbasz ’27 came in second place in the event with a time of 56.26.

The 200-yard butterfly was the first event in which Kenyon did not earn a spot in the top three, allowing Case Western to stay in the meet. The Owls returned to their winning ways, though, as Krtinic, Kisic and Sam Miller ’26 swept the podium in the 50-yard freestyle. Immediately after, the Owls put up another dominating performance in the 100-yard freestyle as Dobric swam a 44.53, winning the event. Krtinic and Brooks finished right behind to pick up second and third place in the crucial event.

The Owls kept up the momentum as Kosian crushed the competition to win the 200-yard backstroke by seven whole seconds with a time of 1:47.38. Kenyon then swept the podium again in the 200-yard breaststroke, with Tumbasz winning the competition, closely followed by Noah Hargrove ’24 and Vaughn Hajra ’24.

Case Western then went on another run, winning the 500-yard freestyle and the 100-yard butterfly. The Owls did not stay down for long though, and decisively won the 200-yard individual medley. Manske ultimately picked up the win, with Hargrove and Java Marvarov ’24 finishing close behind.

In the diving portion, Israel Zavaleta ’24 continued his dominance, getting first place in the one- and three-meter events in both the six-dive and 11-dive competition. Zavaleta’s sweep ultimately helped Kenyon cruise to an easy 206.5-111.5 victory.

Women: This past weekend, the No. 2 Kenyon women’s swimming and diving team earned another victory in the pool. Facing off against the Case Western Reserve University Spartans on Senior Day, the Owls emerged victorious in 13 events and secured a score of 228-108 in their last home meet before the NCAC Championships. Before the start of the meet, the Owls recognized nine seniors taking some of their final dips in the water. 

Throughout the meet, three Kenyon swimmers picked up personal-best times in event wins. Sydney Buchman ’24 took first in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:19.67. Gabrielle Wei ’25 won the 100-yard breaststroke and earned her own new personal best with a blazing time of 1:02.50, shaving 17 milliseconds off her previous time. The last of the personal bests was Ceyda Yazici ’26, who won the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:50.60, about one and a half seconds faster than her previous time.

In the 1000-yard freestyle, Sarah Hoffman ’24 came in first place, swimming the 20 laps in 10:29.94. In the next women’s event, Lisa Torrecillas-Jouault ’26 continued Kenyon’s top-of-the-podium dominance, coming in first place in the 100-yard backstroke in 57.05. In the 50-yard freestyle, Gwen Eisenbeis ’26 came in first with a time of 23.89. Next up, Sydney Geboy ’25 earned a first-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle, touching the wall in 51.37. Jordan Hererra ’25 came in first in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:03.75, while Molly Haag ’26 secured yet another first-place finish in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:04.04. In the penultimate individual event, Celia Ford ’25 came first with a time of 56.49 in the 100-yard butterfly. Finally, in the 30th event of the day, Jennah Fadely ’25, the current national title holder in the 200-yard individual medley, secured first in the same event with a time of 2:03.48. 

In the relay events, Kenyon’s ‘A’ team picked up first place in the 200-yard medley relay. Caleigh Wukitch ’24, Fadely, Ford and Geboy secured the victory with a time of 1:42.34. Later in the day, Kate Bogan ’27, Torrecillas-Jouault, Eisenbeis and Geboy swam to a victory in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:34.36.

Kenyon’s Senior Day celebration also drew President Julie Kornfeld to the Steen Aquatic Center. In an email to the Collegian, Kornfeld reflected on her experience at the meet. “It was my first time attending a Kenyon swimming and diving meet and I had a wonderful time sitting with the parents of many of our seniors,” she said. “They provided me with first-rate instruction on the rules and regulations and I was so impressed not only with the talent of our swimmers and divers but their team spirit and support of one another.”

The Owls are in action next in the NCAC Championship, a four-day competition beginning next Wednesday in Granville, Ohio. The men’s team will look to defend its 2023 conference title, while the women’s team will look to reclaim its crown after finishing second. Going forward, Krtinic says the team is focusing on the little things. “Right now it’s about the details, and putting effort into fitting all the pieces of the puzzle together,” he said. “Everyone worked hard, and I am very excited to see how they will perform.”

Sports editor Micah Arenstein ’26 contributed to reporting.