Section: Lacrosse

Last-second goal lifts men’s lacrosse to undefeated start

​​With two wins already in the book, the Kenyon men’s lacrosse team voyaged to Columbus to take on Capital University. The Owls escaped with a narrow 10-9 win over the Comets from a game-winning goal from Mike Kapral ’26 with one second remaining in regular time. Then, the Owls headed back to Gambier to battle Albion College (Mich.) on Wednesday.

A couple of Kenyon turnovers in the first quarter gave Capital the chance to strike, scoring twice in just five minutes. As the quarter continued, the Owls regained their footing and Gavin Gumucio ’26 scored the first goal of the game for the Owls on an aggressive cage wraparound. Thirty seconds later, David Chintala ’26 followed suit and tied the game. The Comets came back, scoring once more toward the end of the first, but a goal by Kapral evened the score at 3-3 from an assist by Rollins Heath ’25. 

Heath opened the second quarter with his third assist of the season, finding Lucas Flynn ’27 who made it 4-3 with 10:01 left in the half, giving the Owls their first lead of the game. This goal would be the last from Kenyon for the second quarter, as the Capital goalie had 12 first-half saves. 

Both teams displayed a good show of strength throughout the fourth quarter, as the Comets once again scored the first goal of the quarter with 12:18 on the clock. This lead was quickly squashed as the Owls scored three unanswered goals, with Gumucio, Kapral and Jack McCarren ’26 each finding the back of the net. Thomas Nelson ’25’s strong faceoff work and win percentage of 76.1% on the season helped Kenyon build an offensive flow, earning Nelson a spot on the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association/Blatant Lacrosse Team of the Week.

As the clock wound down, the Comets managed to tie the score once again at 8-8, but this was quickly thwarted when Heath fired a goal past the Capital goalie to put Kenyon up by one with 4:01 left in the game. Once again, the Comets came back tying the score 9-9 with 18 seconds left on the clock. With a faceoff win from Nelson and a quick spin drive from Kapral that lost his defender, Kapral then fired the winning goal of the game with only one second left in regulation.

On Wednesday, Kenyon added another victory to its young season, beating Albion 16-6. The Owls got off to a strong start with a goal from Gumucio just one minute into the game, setting the pace for an offensive beatdown. Kenyon scored nine more unanswered goals to take a 10-0 lead with roughly nine minutes left in the half. Chintala, Kapral, Rowan Goldin ’25, Gumucio and Heath, among others, all scored on Kenyon’s run. The Britons managed to get on the board halfway through the second quarter, but never threatened the Owls’ lead. Albion and Kenyon traded goals until the final buzzer, as Luke Riney ’26 scored the first goal of his collegiate career to cap off the 16-6 victory.

Looking ahead, the Owls will take on Centre College on Saturday at home and will play four more games over spring break.