Sorić and Orth shine for Owls at Bob Shannon Invitational

The Kenyon track and field teams traveled to nearby Denison University on Saturday to compete in the annual Bob Shannon Invitational. The women’s team tallied 22 points, securing an eighth-place tie in a field of 10 teams. The men’s team picked up 51 points throughout the day, leading to a sixth-place finish in a field of nine.

Women: The women were once again led by Paula Sorić ’25, who took home first place in the long jump. She recorded a winning jump of 5.17 meters, earning 10 points for the Owls. Sorić, who came into this meet with top finishes in both the long and triple jump events the week prior, has been able to find success in patience. “It has happened multiple times this season (including this most recent meet) that I win the meet on the last jump,” she wrote in an email to the Collegian. “I think this season I’ve been able to remain focused and put it all in my last attempt despite not doing well in the first couple of jumps.” Sorić has big aspirations for the coming weeks of competition as the team closes out the indoor season: “My personal goal is to qualify for the Indoor National Championship; last year I was the first one out and being so close made me really hopeful for this season. In the light of the upcoming NCAC Championship, my goal is to earn as many points as I can.”

Another success for Kenyon came on the track when the Owls’ distance medley relay team secured a second-place finish with a time of 13:36.89. The team of Anna Brown ’26, Lorien Kauffman ’24, Amelia Sims ’27 and Jada Swearingen ’24 earned another eight points. Kenyon’s other four points came in the 4×400-meter relay, where Brown, Kauffman, Caeleigh Stamper ’26 and Rigby Zentner ’27 took sixth place with a time of 4:22.29. 

Men: The men’s team found success in a variety of events on Saturday, scoring points in seven of the 11 events that the Owls competed in. Kenyon’s most successful event of the day was the 3000-meter race, where Keegan Minahan ’24 and Jack Caine ’24 took second and third place, respectively. Theo Hordon ’27 came in eighth place for the Owls as well, running a personal-best time of 9:45.65. The three combined for a total of 15 points. 

Another second-place finish for the Owls came from Collin Witt ’24, who ran a 52.24 in the 400-meter. Witt’s teammate Jonathan Turner ’24 wasn’t far behind, stopping the clock at 53.63 to take sixth place. Kenyon added a couple more points to its total in the mile race, where Peter Bernhardt ’25 took fifth place and ran a season-best of 4:34.55. Right behind him was Samuel Rabieh ’25, who came in sixth and ran a new personal-best time of 4:40.10.

The Owls also saw new personal and school records in the field events. Riley Orth ’24 broke the Kenyon weight throw record for the third time in as many weeks, taking second place at the meet with a distance of 14.91 meters. Orth is focused on the future and has his sights set on a national stage. “I really hope to improve on my shotput mark before the indoor season is over. I’d love to go to the National championship,” he wrote in an email to the Collegian. In the long jump, Ezekiel Kiwanuka ’26 took fifth place at 6.04 meters while first-year Kendall Weaver ’27 recorded a new personal best with a 5.74-meter jump.

A select group of Kenyon athletes from both the men’s and women’s teams will travel to  Westerville, Ohio, next weekend to compete in the All-Ohio Championship. Sorić says the team is looking for accuracy and hard work as the end of the indoor season approaches: “The next couple of meets will tell us how we’re looking for the NCAC Championship. Right now, we’re refining final details so we’re ready to show up and do our best.”