Section: Basketball

Owls fall in lopsided non-conference contest in Cleveland

Cooke leads the team in scoring. | COURTESY OF GRAHAM STOKES

This past Friday, the Kenyon women’s basketball team (2-5) fell in a challenging matchup against Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. Despite their recent back-to-back victories, the Owls faced a formidable opponent in the Spartans, who displayed an efficient offense and tenacious defense. Unfortunately, the Owls struggled to find their rhythm, resulting in a decisive 72-29 defeat.

Claudia Cooke ’24 and Alexis Newman ’26 showcased their consistency throughout by leading Kenyon in points for the second consecutive game. Defensive standout Anissa Hardy ’26 exhibited an exceptional performance, contributing one steal, six points, five defensive rebounds and a season-high three blocks. However, the experienced Case Western team, boasting five seniors and two graduate students, posed significant challenges. 

The Spartans asserted their dominance early in the game, initiating a 10-2 run within the first three minutes. Shooting efficiently from the field and landing two 3-pointers, Case Western created a formidable lead. Despite the defensive efforts of Cooke and Hardy, the Spartans closed the first quarter with a commanding 23-7 advantage.

In the second quarter, Kenyon sought to slow down the game’s pace to disrupt Case Western’s momentum. However, the extended offensive possessions failed to yield significant results for the Owls as they trailed 44-12 at halftime.

The Owls displayed resilience in the second half, with notable defensive stands leading to improved offensive opportunities. Despite an impressive effort in the final quarter, shooting 46.15% and holding the Spartans to just 13 points, Case Western maintained its large lead, securing a 72-29 victory.

Throughout the game, Kenyon capitalized on limited free throw attempts, converting four of six, and demonstrated strength on the defensive end with four blocks, three steals and 13 turnovers. Newman and Cooke led the team offensively with seven points each.

With this defeat, the Owls now hold a 2-5 record for the season. Looking ahead, Kenyon aims to rebound in its first NCAC matchup of the season against DePauw University at home at 1 p.m. on Saturday.