Section: Basketball

Men’s basketball downs DePauw with last-second 3-pointer

Testa drained the decisive buzzer-beater on Saturday. | SEJIN KIM/SID/NCAA

The Kenyon men’s basketball team had a triumphant weekend as the Owls defeated the DePauw University Tigers 73-71 in the final seconds of the game, but couldn’t keep the momentum going into Wednesday and fell to Wabash College 76-50. Adding a win and loss, the Owls’ record now stands at 1-8 (1-1 NCAC).

On Saturday, Kenyon hosted DePauw at home in Tomsich Arena for the Owls’ first conference match. The first 10 minutes of the game saw a back-and-forth offensive battle between both teams, as neither held on to a lead greater than three points. The score was even at 13-13 at the midway point of the first half when Nick Nelson ’26 added two for the Owls. DePauw took hold of the game’s momentum in the final five minutes of the first half, outshooting Kenyon and taking a seven-point lead at the half. The Tigers saw great success from behind the arc in the first half, shooting over 50%, while the Owls made only two of their 11 attempted 3-pointers.

DePauw remained in control of the game at the start of the latter 20 minutes, holding onto a six-plus point lead for the first 10 minutes. With a little under three minutes to play, the Tigers led by nine points and had been dominating the Owls on offense. Connor Moss ’25 and Dylan Fuerst ’24 both came up with baskets to cut the Tigers’ lead, with a layup by Nelson assisting in cutting the lead down to six. Gefen Bar-Cohen ’25, the Owls’ leading scorer this season, secured an offensive rebound that sent him to the line, where he made both free throws and closed the gap to four points. Immediately after, he got a defensive rebound and sank a 3-pointer to make the score 69-68. 

With time running out, Nelson made another impressive layup to keep the Tigers’ lead at one point after fouling to stop the clock. The Owls fouled one last time to stop the clock and Fuerst secured a rebound off of a missed Kenyon attempt. As the seconds fell off the clock, Fuerst sent a pass out to Anthony Testa ’24, who buried a three over a defender’s outstretched arms with six-tenths of a second to go, electrifying the Kenyon faithful. The Owls went on a 15-7 run in the last three minutes of the game and held DePauw to a 20% three-point shooting percentage in the second half. 

Fuerst, who scored 14 points for the Owls, reflected in an email to the Collegian on the dramatic first win: “We were obviously happy to get a conference win under our belt, but the energy in the locker after the game was definitely taken up a notch given how everything played out.” Testa felt similarly. “The whole team was super excited, so many different guys stepped up to make huge plays. It was a lot of fun to be a part of.” 

On Wednesday night the Owls traveled to Wabash College for their second match of the week. Kenyon got out to an early 7-2 lead due, in part, to two layups by Bar-Cohen. However, this would be the last time the Owls had the lead the entire game, as Wabash pushed to even the score at 11-11 in the seventh minute of the game. An 8-0 run followed up the Wabash tie, giving the Little Giants a strong lead. The Owls weren’t able to hold onto much momentum after that, and went into the half down 41-25. 

The second half didn’t see much improvement for the Owls on offense, with Nelson being the only scorer in the first four minutes of play. Despite a slight scoring run in the final minutes by the Owls, Wabash came out on top with a score of 76-50. The Owls shot only 36% and completed only four of 21 attempts behind the arc compared to Wabash’s 49% field goal percentage and nine of 26 attempts. 

Fuerst says that the team is looking to keep a strong mentality going into future match-ups. “If we play with the same next-play mentality that we had last Saturday, we’ll be a hard team to beat.” The Owls will look to win their second game of the season as they take on the Hiram College Terriers on the road on Saturday.