Section: Soccer

Women’s soccer splits conference games with 3 games left

The Kenyon women’s soccer team picked up a conference win against Hiram College on Saturday, before falling to Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) on Tuesday. After a tough three-game winless streak the previous two weeks, Kenyon’s record now stands at 6-3-5 (1-2-1 NCAC) with only three games left in the regular season. 

Over the weekend, the Owls dominated against the Hiram Terriers, extending their home unbeaten streak to six games. Kenyon opened the scoring in the seventh minute thanks to Eun Hae Lillig ’25. Lillig got on the end of a rebound in the Hiram box following a corner and rocketed her shot into the top left corner, scoring her third goal of the season. The Owls continued to pressure the Terriers, taking 24 shots in the first half compared to Hiram’s two. However, Kenyon could not double its lead until the 62nd minute, as captain Morgan Baker ’25, who leads the Owls with six goals, scored her first of the day. Again from a corner, Baker received a layoff from Kayla Arone ’26 and placed her shot past the Hiram goalkeeper. Much like the rain, Kenyon’s offense continued its downpour and scored two more goals in quick succession. Hailey Moss ’25 scored her fourth goal of the season, lobbing her shot over the goalkeeper from 25 yards out. Finally, Baker scored her second in the 73rd minute, getting on the end of Sadie Gould ’24’s cross and directing the ball into the back of the net from short range. Kenyon notched 19 shots on goal to Hiram’s one, and took 13 corners to Hiram’s zero. Keeper Gabi Pesticci ’25 made one save during the 90 minutes.

On Tuesday, the Owls fell to the Battling Bishops 1-0, the program’s first loss to OWU since 2018. Kenyon’s struggles away from Mavec Field continued, as the Owls have now failed to win an away game since Sept. 2. Neither team could find the back of the net until the Battling Bishops broke the deadlock in the 77th minute, finally getting through the stout Kenyon defense. Pesticci, who played the full 90 minutes, made 10 saves, which ultimately was not enough as the Owls, who were stymied on offense for much of the game, were not able to find an equalizer in the last breaths of the match, sealing their second conference loss. 

Kenyon will return to action on Saturday at DePauw University, before closing the regular season with a pair of home matches against the College of Wooster and Oberlin College.


Comments for this article have closed. If you'd like to send a letter to the editor for publication, please email us at