Volleyball falls in road double header, hosts Hiram College

COURTESY OF GRAHAM STOKES

The Kenyon volleyball team continued its season this past week. The Owls played three games, pushing their record to 3-17 (0-4 NCAC).

In Saturday’s doubleheader, hosted by Otterbein College, the Owls lost both matches in straight sets. The first match against Heidelberg University started promisingly but ended in a 3-0 defeat (17-25, 14-25, 18-25). Lindsey Abramson ’24 led with five kills. 

The second match against Otterbein College also ended in a 3-0 defeat (14-25, 20-25, 16-25). Aura Barinas ’26 and Maggie Wolf ’26 had five kills each. The Owls had 27 kills, compared to the Cardinals’ 36. Abramson led with eight kills between the two matches.

Wednesday’s game against Hiram College was a nailbiter but ultimately ended in a 3-2 defeat (25-21, 22-25, 25-20, 14-25, 13-15). Kenyon jumped out to a 2-1 lead after the 3rd set, notching a team game-best hitting percentage of 0.31 in the third set. However, the Terriers tied the game up after a strong fourth set, holding an 11-point lead for much of the set. In the final tiebreaker set, Hiram jumped out to a 7-0 advantage. But the Owls clawed their way back into the game and tied the 15-point set at 13. However, Hiram won the final two points to seal the loss for Kenyon.

Abramson (24), Becca Gwyne ’26 (9.5), Olivia Gumz ’27 (8) and Hannah Schwemm ’27 (8) led the team with points. Building on her kills from the two previous matches, Abramson had 20 kills through 5 sets. 

Looking ahead, the Owls will take on the College of Wooster this Saturday in their Senior Day and Dig Pink game. It will be the first game against Wooster since the Owls emerged victorious in the first round of the 2022 NCAC Tournament. Kenyon has four more games in the regular season.