Section: Cross Country

Owls compete in Ohio and Kentucky, near end of season

The men’s and women’s cross country teams split up on the weekend of Sept. 29, competing in two away meets. Members of each respective squad competed in the Ohio Wesleyan Invitational on Friday, where the men’s runners placed 12th and the women’s team sent two individual runners. A day later, the Owls ran in the Louisville Classic in Kentucky, where Kenyon runners competed against hundreds of Division I, Division II and Division III runners.
Men: At the Ohio Wesleyan Invitational 8K, the men’s team sent 10 runners, ultimately finishing in 12th place with a score of 336. Sam Rabieh ’25 led the Kenyon flock with a time of 27:48.1, while Jack Caine ’24 was right behind him, clocking in two seconds later at 27:50.5. Rounding out the top three on the day was Noah Hopkins ’26 with a time of 28:05.4.
A day later, six Kenyon runners competed in Kentucky, placing 38th out of 46 teams. Running in the 8K, Keegan Minahan ’24 was the first Owl across the finish line with a time of 26:09.5, finishing in 102nd place out of 427 placing runners. Joshua Breard ’26 clocked in shortly after with a time of 26:26.4, a collegiate best. Finishing in the same minute as Minahan and Breard were Arthur Wellenstein ’27 with a time of 26:47.2 and Peter Bernhardt ’25 with a time of 26:59.4. The last two Owls, Owen Rodstrom ’26 and Henry Rodrigues ’26, finished with times of 27:51.5 and 28:28.8.
Women: The women’s team had two competitors in the pool of 141 runners in the Ohio Wesleyan Invitational. Running the 6K, first-years Amelia Sims ’27 and Olivia Hiner ’27 clocked in at 25:58.9 and 28:46.9, respectively.
In Kentucky, Kenyon placed 26th overall out of 50 total teams in the 5K. Olivia Ide ’27, running in her first collegiate 5K, finished in 22nd out of 400 total runners across all NCAA division levels with a time of 19:30.1. Kenyon’s next finisher was Penny Griffioen ’27 with a time of 21:23.7, shortly followed by fellow first-year Eva Shannon ’27, who clocked in at 21:28.5. Two seniors rounded out Kenyon’s scoring finishes. Lorien Kauffman ’24 and Jada Swearingen ’24 came in 184th and 193rd, with times of 21:46.3 and 21:56.3, respectively.
Both cross country teams are nearing the end of their seasons. Kenyon will compete in the JennaStrong Fall Classic, hosted by Wilmington College, on Oct. 13, the final tournament before the NCAC Championship two weeks later.
Design Editor Olivia Hiner ’27 is a member of the women’s cross country team.