Section: Field Hockey

Field hockey celebrates seniors, improves to 5-3 in NCAC

Lucy Scott '24 | COURTESY OF GRAHAM STOKES

In the past week, the Kenyon field hockey team played two home games against Earlham College and Concordia University (Wis.). Ultimately the Owls won both, extending their winning streak from the past two weeks and giving them a 9-6 (5-3 NCAC) record for the season with two games left to play in the regular season.

For the first two quarters against Earlham on Saturday, Kenyon dominated play. Grace Lane ’25 notched the first goal of the game at the 12-minute mark. With three minutes left of play in the first half, Maren Lawrence ’27 doubled Kenyon’s lead. The Quakers managed a goal out of halftime, but the Owls quickly regained momentum, as Lane scored a goal in each of the final two quarters to pick up her second hat trick of the season. With seven minutes left, Lawrence scored her second goal to close the game out for Kenyon 5-1. 

Six minutes into Sunday’s game against the non-conference Falcons, Lane opened the scoring once again. Concordia tied the game up in the second quarter, but Lawrence regained the lead for Kenyon just before halftime, giving the Owls a 2-1 lead at the break. Neither team could find the back of the net for much of the second half in an intense back-and-forth match. With about two minutes left to play, Lane scored the last goal for the Owls, capping off a 3-1 victory and a nice home win for Senior Day. Lane, who leads the Owls with 13 goals and five assists, was named NCAC Offensive Athlete of the Week for her impressive performances. 

The team is excited by the momentum they’ve picked up in these later games of the season. In an email to the Collegian, Hannah Paprotna ’24, one of the four seniors honored in a ceremony during the match against Concordia, gave credit to the team’s tenacity:  “This season has been my favorite by far. The team dynamic has been so positive, and the energy has been fantastic. We definitely had a few moments in the beginning of the season that were tough for the team, and had a few losses in conference, but the team has been working so hard, and we have had a great run in conference so far,” she said.  “Our goal for the rest of the season is to really focus on each individual game, as so much can happen between now and playoffs. We have two more regular season games, both in conference, so taking the week to really prepare for each of the games that will determine our spot in playoffs is our main focus right now.”

The Owls, who have now won their last five games will head to Meadville, Pennsylvania, to compete against Allegheny College on Saturday.