No. 23 men’s soccer stays hot, wins seventh game in a row

Dujakovich | COURTESY OF ISOO O'BRIEN

The No. 23 Kenyon men’s soccer team continued its winning streak, beating Hiram College 8-1 and Wittenberg University 1-0 to improve to 12-3-0. With the wins, the Owls moved to 6-0-0 in conference play.

The whopping eight goals that the Owls scored against the Terriers is tied for the most they have scored in a game since 2021. “Winning a college soccer game isn’t easy and Saturday was the culmination of all of our hard work and putting together all of the different performances we have done in the past,” midfielder James Paden ’26 wrote in an email to the Collegian. “It feels great to prove to ourselves that we can score so many goals and in so many ways, as well as getting a lot of different people on the score sheet.”

The Owls certainly had no problems finishing their chances, as their eight goals came on 13 shots on goal and 25 shots overall. In the eighth minute of the contest, midfielder Eamon Dujakovich ’25 scored the first goal from an assist by Alex Ramirez ’26. Then, just six minutes later, Dujakovich found the back of the net for a second time, this time with the assist coming from midfielder Joey Martens ’25. The final goal in the first half came off the foot of forward Atli Hrafnkelsson ’24 and was assisted by Dujakovich and defender Aidan Burns ’24. To start the next half, the Owls came out with plenty of energy and midfielder Robert Little ’27 scored a solo goal in the 63rd minute to extend the Owls’ lead. Hiram got on the board five minutes later, but Little quickly scored again to put Kenyon up 5-1. The Owls didn’t stop there, however, as midfielder Max Thesing ’24 put the ball in defender Matt Nguyen ’26 was able to finish. Then, forward Jacob Lazarus ’25 extended the lead with a goal from fellow forward Matt Prusan ’24. Finally, midfielder Moustapha Gassama ’27 scored a penalty kick, his first collegiate goal, to seal the win for the Owls in the 87th minute.

Paden, who played the third most minutes in Saturday’s win, credited the win to the team’s unselfishness. “Our team’s mindset has really been about doing all of the right things both on and off the field in order to get ‘ours’ as a collective not the individual, and that was displayed tremendously on Saturday,” he said.

On Wednesday, the Owls beat Wittenberg 1-0 to earn their seventh straight victory. It was a hard fought win, as both teams’ defenses were steady throughout the contest. The only goal of the match came at the start of the second half, as a defensive mistake by the Tigers led to a counterattack in which Dujakovich was able to blow the winning shot past the Wittenberg goalkeeper. From there, the Kenyon defense stayed strong and kept Wittenberg scoreless to secure the victory, cementing Kenyon’s 13th consecutive win against Wittenberg going back to 2009. The win was also the Owls’ seventh shutout of the season.

Kenyon, which rose up the national coaches rankings to 23rd, will look forward to facing Wabash College on Saturday, which will be the team’s Senior Day. The Owls have not lost to the Little Giants since 2014, and will look to keep the streak alive. Looking ahead, Paden said, “The team’s aspirations the rest of this year are to continue to get results and get better and we have the personnel and tactics to get it done.”