Section: Football

Football loses to Wooster

The Kenyon football team traveled to face the College of Wooster on Saturday. Though the Owls put up 355 rushing yards, they fell 70-21 to the Fighting Scots, bringing their record to 0-4 (0-2 NCAC).

After Wooster opened the scoring with a passing touchdown, Kenyon answered quickly. On second-and-10, Drake Lewis ’25 ran 64 yards to the house to tie the game at 7-7 with ten minutes to play in the quarter. Though the Fighting Scots added a pair of touchdowns, Jordon Benjamin ’26 made it a one-score game in the final minute of the opening quarter with a 73-yard touchdown. Lewis, who led the team with 167 rushing yards, credited the rest of the offense for the run game’s success. “The offensive line did a great job at opening up holes, making our jobs as running backs easier,” he wrote in an email to the Collegian. “Receivers also made some key blocks on the outside, and all of the broken tackles we forced as ball carriers helped out too.”

Unfortunately for Kenyon, Wooster took over in the second quarter, putting up four more touchdowns before halftime. The Fighting Scots’ defense forced the Owls to go three-and-out twice and never allowed Kenyon’s offense past midfield. In the third quarter, the Owls cut their deficit to 49-21 with a rushing touchdown from quarterback Park Penrod ’25. From then on, it was all Fighting Scots, as Wooster closed out the game with three more touchdowns to win 70-21.

Though Kenyon had an advantage on the ground, Wooster dominated through the air, 319 yards to 51. Penrod, who threw two interceptions, believes that improving the Owls’ passing game requires a complete effort from the offense. “I think if we are more aggressive with some deeper downfield concepts we can stretch the defense and put their secondary into conflict,” he wrote in an email to the Collegian. “If we establish the run game like we did [against Wooster], the defense will be more worried about trying to stop the run game and less worried about the pass and that’s when we can start throwing the ball effectively.”

Kenyon will return to McBride Field on Saturday to play Hiram College for Homecoming weekend. The Owls will look to pick up their first win of the season and fourth consecutive win against the Terriers. Both Lewis and Penrod believe that avoiding mistakes that Hiram can capitalize on will be key to finding success. “Offense and defense need to build off of each other’s successes,” Lewis said. “[W]e have to minimize mistakes and play with controlled aggression.” Penrod added: “I think for the team to have success we have to be disciplined in the mental aspect of the game. We have to make sure we focus on what our own individual job is on the field and make sure we execute that to the best of our ability.”