Section: Lacrosse

Owls extend winning streaks, prepare for postseason play

Women’s Lacrosse

The Kenyon women’s lacrosse team continued its undefeated season after winning a pair of road games this week. With victories over the University of Mount Union and the College of Wooster, the Owls’ record stands at 13-0 (3-0 NCAC).

On Saturday, Mount Union opened the scoring with a pair of goals in the game’s first five minutes. Rather than allowing the Purple Raiders to build on that momentum, the Owls responded with five unanswered goals in the next five minutes to take a lead they would not surrender. Tatumn Eccleston ’23, who assisted on Kenyon’s third goal, praised the team for its quick response. “Though Mount Union opened up the game with the first two goals, we kept our composure and elevated our energy level,” she wrote in an email to the Collegian. “Our defense locked down on their matchups and our attack began to flow fluidly, allowing us to keep the lead.”

Mount Union cut the lead to one goal in the opening minutes of the second quarter, but Kenyon’s offense roared back again. The Owls tacked on five more goals to lead 10-4 at the half, before building the lead to eight goals as the fourth quarter opened. The two teams traded goals to close the game, but Kenyon came away with the 17-10 non-conference win. 

Caroline O’Neil ’23, who finished the day with four goals and two assists, highlighted Eccleston’s career-high seven-point performance (one goal, six assists) as being a key to the team’s success. “Tatumn Eccleston had a day,” O’Neil wrote in an email to the Collegian. “Her vision and feeding is unmatched and was perfect on Saturday.” After her historic game, Eccleston praised the team’s depth as a driving force in the win. “We had eight different goal-scorers and nine of our goals were assisted, which speaks to our team’s ability to share the ball and attack at all angles,” she said. “It’s hard for other teams to scout us when we have so many players who step up each game!”

Prior to the game against Wooster, Eccleston and O’Neil emphasized the importance of a strong start against the Fighting Scots. “Our team needs to enter the game against Wooster ready to control the pace of play, which has been something we have focused on a lot this year,” she said. O’Neil echoed that sentiment: “We need to buckle down and come out fast and hard.”

Despite conceding the game’s first goal on Tuesday, Kenyon quickly rattled off seven straight goals to take a 7-1 lead with four minutes to play in the first quarter. The Owls never took their foot off the gas for the rest of the game, taking a 10-3 lead into halftime. Kenyon continued to pour on goals in the second half on its way to a 20-8 win. 

The Owls’ next game is on Saturday, when Kenyon will travel to Granville, Ohio, to face rival Denison University. After beating the Big Red for the first time since 2013 and besting them in the NCAC final last season, Eccleston is excited to face off against Denison again. “[Saturday] has been circled on our calendars all year,” she said. “It’s a new year and we are seeking another opportunity to compete for a win against the Big Red!” 

Men’s Lacrosse

The Kenyon men’s lacrosse team earned two wins this week, bringing the Owls’ record to 12-1 (5-1).

In Saturday’s game against Hiram College, the Owls controlled both sides of the ball in the 28-0 onslaught. Seventeen players contributed to the scoring, as Kenyon tallied the fourth most goals scored in a single game in program history.

The Owls came out firing in the first quarter, jumping out to an 11-0 lead in just 15 minutes of play. The catalyst for the early success was Gavin Gumucio ’26. The first-year attackman continued to prove himself as an offensive weapon since being added to the starting lineup three weeks ago. Despite only playing in the first quarter, Gumucio scored eight points (4G, 4A). David Chintala ’26 also contributed four goals in the opening 15 minutes.

The lethal first-year duo set the tone early, and the team followed suit, scoring at will throughout the game. After another scoring barrage in the second quarter, the Owls went into halftime with a comfortable 20-0 lead. Bennett Hudson ’23 was crucial to the continued annihilation of Hiram’s defense in the second half, scoring two goals and dishing out two assists. 

Saturday’s game was not only a dominant offensive display, but was also a shutout on the defensive side. In an email to the Collegian, Gumucio highlighted how the defense complemented the offense throughout the game. “A lot of the offensive success was started at the face-off getting us the ball,” he said. “The defense played a perfect game, barely allowing them to have possession time.” Kenyon’s stifling defense did not allow a shot attempt until halfway through the third quarter, and a perfect face off percentage from Thomas Nelson ’25 kept the ball in the Owls’ possession. For his efforts, Nelson was named to United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association’s Division III Team of the Week for the second time this year. 

Back in Gambier on Wednesday, Kenyon hosted the College of Wooster and picked up a 12-4 win to extend the Owls’ conference win streak to five games. 

Wooster scored the first two goals of the game, but Kenyon responded to tie the score at two before the end of the first quarter. The Owls dominated the second quarter, outscoring the Fighting Scots 5-1. With a 6-1 lead entering the third quarter, the Owls were on cruise control. After each team scored a goal in the third quarter, Kenyon put the ball in the back of the net four times in the final frame, easily picking up the win. 

Jack Giuffre ’23 paced the team with six points (3G, 3A). Gumucio (3G, 1A) and Chintala (2G, 2A) each added four points to their stats. 

Caleb Newman ’24 contributed to reporting.


Comments for this article have closed. If you'd like to send a letter to the editor for publication, please email us at