Section: Lacrosse

Owls extend winning streak to 11 games with 2 NCAC wins

O’Neil had four goals against OWU. | COURTESY OF ISOO O’BRIEN

The Kenyon women’s lacrosse team is one of only three undefeated NCAA Division III teams remaining after playing two games this week and improving its record to 11-0 (2-0 NCAC). 

In Saturday’s conference opener against Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU), Caroline O’Neil ’23, Kenyon’s leading scorer, set the tone for the game by getting a tally on its first offensive possession. O’Neil went on to have an outstanding performance, scoring four goals, providing two assists and causing two turnovers.

Although Kenyon had dominated its previous non-conference games, OWU kept pace with the Owls throughout the game. The teams traded goals in the first quarter, with Kenyon only holding a 4-3 lead at the end of the first half, thanks to two goals from O’Neil.

However, the Owls managed to pull away in the third quarter. Julia Losey ’23, Ella Murphy ’23 and Mallory Brophy ’25 all put scores up on the board, ending the quarter at 7-4. In the fourth quarter, Murphy contributed two goals to put the game out of reach. Despite OWU’s best efforts to mount a comeback, Kenyon’s defense held strong and secured a 10-7 win. 

Defender Maren Helmacy ’24 was proud of the way the team communicated. “We played stellar team defense; our slide package consisted of third and fourth slides which made it very difficult for Ohio Wesleyan to get good feeds in front of the cage,” she wrote in an email to the Collegian. “When OWU did score, we were able to quickly recognize the mistakes made, fix them on the next possession, and get the ball back to our offense.”

Although Kenyon scored fewer goals than in its previous games, the Owls still managed to command the match with a 14-7 advantage in draw controls. Kenyon also capitalized on Ohio Wesleyan’s mistakes, scoring two man-up goals and taking advantage of free-position shots. Despite a tough challenge from the Battling Bishops, the Owls managed to secure a 10-7 victory.

In Tuesday’s game against Wittenberg, Kenyon’s defense allowed less than half its average of 6.6 goals. The Owls defense is tied for seventh in the country. O’Neil scored the game’s first goal and two of Kenyon’s first three, and the rest of the team quickly followed suit. Kenyon scored 14 consecutive goals in the next 35 minutes, leading by as many as 17 goals. O’Neil finished with three goals and one assist, while Blythe Karras ’25, Tatumn Eccleston ’23 and Ali Hatfield ’24 each tallied three points. Wittenberg scored one goal in the first quarter and two in the fourth, but Kenyon ultimately outshot Wittenberg 34-8 and grabbed 12 more ground balls. In the end, Kenyon emerged as the clear victors with an impressive 18-3 win. 

Kenyon will play at University of Mount Union on Saturday, April 15 in its final non-conference match of the season.