Section: Field Hockey

Field hockey celebrates seniors, goes 2-0 on week

COURTESY OF GRAHAM STOKES

The Kenyon field hockey team celebrated its five seniors during the Owls’ final home game. Playing against the College of Wooster, Kenyon secured a 5-0 shutout, with many of the seniors contributing to the win. On Monday, Kenyon defeated Oberlin College 3-0 to set an 9-7 overall record. With a 4-4 NCAC record, the Owls are in fourth place and are projected to earn a playoff berth. 

On Saturday, the Owls started strong with Carolyn Herbosa ’23 scoring the first goal for Kenyon just three minutes into the first quarter. The Owls found the back of the net again with a goal by Kiersten Hoffmann ’25 and an assist from Ella Haskins ’25. Following the previous successes, Grace Lane ’25 continued the streak with Kenyon’s next goal midway through the second quarter. 

Early in the second half, Hannah Paprotna ’24 assisted Bella Kern ’23 in scoring for Kenyon. Four minutes later, Lana Stone ’26 scored the final goal to finalize the Senior Day win. Throughout the game, Kenyon outshot Wooster 13-2, seven of which were shots on goal. 

Goalkeeper Payton Doan ’23 reflected on her experiences with the program. “Over the past 4 years, Kenyon FH has meant everything to me. My teammates make Gambier home and I wouldn’t change it for the world,” she wrote in an email to the Collegian

In their final NCAC game of the season, the Owls outshot the Yeowoman 16-0. Kern, assisted by Stone, scored the first goal of the game during the second quarter. Three minutes into the third quarter, Hoffmann scored with an assist from Lane. To close out the game, Lane scored the final goal in the fourth quarter. Throughout most of the game, Kenyon controlled the ball with 13 of 16 shots on goal and a 12-0 advantage of penalty corners on Oberlin. Both the offense and defense played well in securing two consecutive shutouts. 

The Owls will travel to Danville, Ky. to play Centre College in their final game of the season on Saturday.