Women’s soccer splits weekend games, falls to Case Western

Sheridan scores a goal against Concordia Wisconsin in first win of season. | COURTESY OF SEJIN KIM

On Saturday, the women’s soccer team fell in their home opener to Kalamazoo College (Mich.). However, they reversed their fortunes the next day by securing their first win of the season against undefeated Concordia University (Wis.) on Sunday. On Wednesday, they lost at home to No. 17 Case Western Reserve University, 2-0.

In Saturday’s game against Kalamazoo, the Owls defended well against the Hornets’ early pressure until they conceded a goal right before the halftime whistle. The Owls came out of the break with a newfound offensive determination, registering their first shot in the 50th minute of the match. However, the Hornets were able to withstand Kenyon’s efforts, doubling their lead in the 81st minute. With added fire off the ensuing kick-off, Hailey Moss ’25 scored a header off an assist from Talulla Sheridan ’25, and the Owls halved Kalamazoo’s lead. Despite matching Kalamazoo shot-for-shot in the second half (5-5), including three in the final seven minutes of the game, the 90 minutes drew to a close with a 2-1 score in favor of the Hornets.

The weekend wasn’t over yet, as the Owls still had Concordia (3-0-1) to face the following day. According to Sheridan, the team had two main points of focus ahead of the match. “[W]e reviewed film before the match to discuss specific tactics we wanted to keep in mind when matching up with the Concordia midfield,” she wrote in message to the Collegian. “But more importantly, we just didn’t want to lose.”

And lose they did not. Kenyon outshot the Falcons 16-10, with Lara O’Callaghan ’23 finding the back of the net in the 30th minute after a scramble in Concordia’s box. The Owls continued to push after the break, doubling their advantage in the 63rd minute when Moss assisted Sheridan. The Owls conceded a penalty kick in the final stretch of the game, which allowed Concordia to halve their deficit, but Kenyon remained on top as the match came to a close. The Owls earned their first win of the season by a final score of 2-1.

Sheridan was proud of the way the team improved from game to game. “From the tactical point of view, our defensive communication and transitions went well in the Concordia game and we were overall better organized compared to the Kalamazoo game,” she said.

Kenyon was unable to start a winning streak as they faced a tough opponent in ranked Case Western. After two goals found the back of the Owls’ net in the first half, the Spartans played great defense against the Owls, allowing only one shot on goal. The Owls were defeated 2-0 at home.

The team is still looking to find consistency from game to game, but Sheridan is optimistic about the team’s outlook. “We have everything we need from [the defensive] side of the game but succeeding in the rest of the season will really come down to how we mentally apply those skills,” she said. With their record standing at 1-3-1, the Owls will next travel to Kentucky to face Transylvania College on Saturday.