Owls stumble in opening games, drop to 0-4 on the season

Volleyball is looking to improve upon last season’s result under new coach. | COURTESY OF KENYON ATHLETICS

The Owls volleyball team made their season debut on Friday under the leadership of new head coach Emma Olson. After going 0-3 in the BSN River City Classic at Marietta College, they lost on Wednesday to Bluffton University. 

In their match against Marietta College, the Owls were ultimately overpowered, losing in three sets. After falling 25-16 in the first set, Kenyon nearly turned the momentum in their favor in a close second set. However, Marietta prevailed 25-22, and took the third set by a score of 25-11. Macy Reimbold ’23 led the way for the Owls with eight kills, while Paige Milhon ’23 added four blocks and two kills.

On Saturday, the Owls were back at it on their home court, facing off against Washington and Jefferson College (Pa.) and Franciscan University. After a slow start against Washington and Jefferson, the Owls were able to take the second set, 25-14, but fell in the third and fourth sets, 25-18 and 25-21. Kathryn McCaffrey ’26 led the way for Kenyon with 10 kills, while Ellie Luciani ’23 and Reimbold added nine in their losing effort. 

For their last game of the weekend, the Owls only won one of their four sets against Franciscan. Down two sets to zero, the Owls had a resurgent third set where they won 25-16, but they lost the fourth 25-16. Reimbold led the team with 16 kills, while Jac Cousineau ’23 had 32 assists. 

In Wednesday’s match, they fell in straight sets to Bluffton University at home. The match was closer than it appeared as the Owls lost 25-22, 25-20 and 27-25.  

The Owls will look to reverse their fortune in the NCAC/MIAA Crossover on Saturday in Olivet, Mich.