Owls have rough start to the season in Rochester

Julia Igoe scored the Owls’ lone goal this week in a tie versus Nazareth College in upstate New York. | COURTESY OF KENYON ATHLETICS

This weekend, the women’s soccer team traveled to Rochester, N.Y. to kick off the season, taking on the Golden Flyers of Nazareth College and the Tigers of Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) in their home state. 

The season opener on Friday against the Golden Flyers proved to be a strong match-up for the Owls, with the 90 minutes concluding in a 1-1 draw. The game began with a defensive stand from Kenyon goalkeeper Leah Anderson ’23, who registered three big saves in the first 30 minutes of the game. With a blank sheet, the Owls struck first, and Julia Igoe ’25 put the team ahead 1-0 in the 36th minute. Strong pressure from Nazareth from the start of the second half saw them score the equalizer in the 71st minute. Despite the additional pressure put on by the Owls in the final stretch of the match, the score remained 1-1. 

On Saturday, the Owls faced RIT. Despite early pressure from the Tigers, the Owls went into the break scoreless. Unfortunately, the Owls could not withstand RIT’s attack in the second half and conceded two goals, losing by a final score of 2-0. Igoe reflected on the RIT match in an email to the Collegian, highlighting the heroics of RIT’s keeper. “Honestly, what went wrong for us in the RIT game was that the RIT goalkeeper had the game of her life! She was killer on 1v1s, and made many great saves.” 

Regardless of the score, the weekend proved quite positive in the Owls’ search for squad cohesion. Igoe commended the team’s offensive build-up play. “In both games, we found our stride and were able to connect passes and get great chances on goal!” Anderson had a positive outlook on team morale. “This weekend was a wonderful opportunity for our team to grow closer. We made some great memories on the road and learned what we need to do to be successful. We look forward to the rest of the season.” 

The Owls will play their home opener against Kalamazoo College (Mich.) Saturday at 1 p.m.