Section: Football

Owls falter in close contest against Kalamazoo Hornets

The Owls football team fell victim to a string of bad luck during Saturday’s away game against the Kalamazoo College (Mich.) Hornets. In their second game of the season, the Owls put up a strong offensive performance, scoring in every quarter of the game except the third, but were unable to overcome the struggles of a tough first half and ultimately fell 24-21.

The game opened up with a strong start by the Owls, with them scoring the first touchdown late in the opening quarter to end a stalemate in a touchdown from Finn Murray ’23 to put them up 7-0. Kenyon’s excellent defense to start the game inspired the Hornets to counteract with their own plan. By forcing two three-and-outs from Kenyon, they carved a three-point lead after a touchdown and field goal. The excellent turnaround by the Hornets left Kenyon searching for a shift in momentum. The Owls looked back on track as Ryan O’Leary ’23, Murray and Andrew Schnarre ’23 took only three plays to bring the lead back to Kenyon, with a fantastic touchdown grab by Schnarre.

The Owls were nearing halftime with a lead, but the Hornets gained an advantage after an impressive offensive drive, bringing the score at the midway stopage to 17-14. Kenyon attempted to claw back the lead as they returned from the break, but the sting of disappointments continued.

A scoreless third quarter for Kenyon only led to more frustration for the team. The defense attempted to fend off assaults from Kalamazoo’s offensive line, but the Hornets were able to score on their first snap of the second half. The pressure seemed to be getting to the Owls, as they fumbled and gave up a possession.

While the Owls may have stumbled on the offensive side, their defense prevented Kalamazoo from putting any more points on the board. With the score sitting at 24-14, the outcome going into the fourth looked grim.

After forcing a three and out, however, Park Penrod ’25 seized a passing opportunity to Zachary Kim ’25, and Jack Provenza ’23 scored a rushing touchdown two plays later. With the score at 24-21 with three minutes left in the game, Kenyon looked to be in the comeback spirit. But a Kenyon victory was not meant to be, and the string of bad luck that plagued the Owls reared its head. The Hornets converted on fourth-and-1 with less than two minutes left to ice the game at 24-21.

Kenyon will open NCAC play against Wittenberg University at the McBride field on Saturday, Sept. 17.