Section: Golf

Golf team takes fifth at Transylvania Invitational

Speiss shot 218 over three rounds. | COURTESY OF MARTY FULLER

On Saturday, Sept. 3, the golf team traveled to Lexington, Ky. for the Transylvania Fall Invitational, where they placed 5th out of 19 teams. This year, the team hopes to defend last year’s NCAC conference championship.

With each team only allowed five golfers, the coaching staff had to make some difficult decisions. “It was challenging to leave some guys out of the lineup in Kentucky, because it really felt like we had more than five guys who were deserving of a spot,” Armand Ouellette ’25, last year’s Golf Coaches Association of America’s 2022 NCAA Division III All-Freshman Team honoree, wrote in a message to the Collegian. The golfers who traveled to Kentucky looked like they were in mid-season form. Griffin Ward ’24 and Logan Spiess ’23 had a phenomenal showing, leading the Owls in scoring. The two finished in the top 14 out of a total 95 golfers, with 218 strokes each. Ouellette followed right behind them with a total stroke number of 220. Garrett Thesing ’24 and Will Hulsey ’26 followed, with scores of 228 and 230, respectively. 

With the next invitational close on the horizon, the Owls look to build on their current momentum. Despite their strong showing in the last invitational, the team is aware of where they can improve. “As a team, everyone broke 80 all 3 rounds, which is fine, but we definitely wanted more. And we can all tell we can go much lower than that,” Hulsey wrote in an email to the Collegian

The team’s goals expand beyond individual invitational success, however. Though fall sports have just begun, Ouellette feels as if the team can — and should — outperform last year’s conference championship team. “Our goals as a team are to win the NCAC championship and make the national championship. I think we have a good enough team to do equal or better [than] what we accomplished last year,” he said.

The golf team will next travel to Greensboro, N.C. to compete in the Gate City Invitational, which will take place over the span of two days, with the first two rounds played on Monday, Sept. 26 and the third round being played the following day.