Section: Field Hockey

Field hockey falls in heartbreaker to Rhodes College

Field hockey lost in overtime. | COURTESY OF KENYON ATHLETICS

On Friday, Sept. 2, the Kenyon field hockey team opened their season with a 2-1 overtime loss to Rhodes College (Tenn.). Though the Owls had a late-game lead, they were unable to secure a victory against the Lynx. 

The Owls opened the scoring late in the third quarter, when Bella Kern ’23 scored with an assist from Kiersten Hoffmann ’25.  Unfortunately, the Lynx did not give up, and they scored in the fourth quarter with eight minutes left in the game. Only two minutes into overtime, Rhodes College scored once again, taking the game by a final score of 2-1. Kern felt good about the game considering the inexperience of the team. “A lot of people started for the first time against Rhodes and really stepped up,” Kern wrote in an email to the Collegian.

Luckily for the Owls, this is only the beginning of their season, and they have plenty of time to capitalize on what they have done well so far. Goalkeeper Payton Doan ’23 saved three shots and let in a goal but was happy about the team’s chemistry. “Since the very first day of preseason, I have been very proud of our cohesion on the field,” she wrote in an email to the Collegian. “The forwards and midfielders had some incredible passing patterns and the defenders had clean tackles and maintained a very strong defensive corner unit.” 

The Owls will continue to work hard together and perfect their game play in order to hopefully claim a victory on the road against Washington and Jefferson College (Pa.) today.